Default Two queens in one hive

I combined two hives couple of weeks ago, becuse i thought the queen is gone in one hive. I put queen excluder between the lower and upper supers.

Today i saw that i have eggs in both supers and both queens a alive and functioning!
    Is this situation is rare or two young queens can manage together while they cannot phisicaly touch each other?
    I am thinking that it can a good stategy for building big population before spring.
    Thanks,
    Randi, Israel

Default Re: Two queens in one hive

You should split them apart and let them defend their own independent hives rather then have any territory conflicts which maybe going on near the excluder.

Randi, I agree with Buzz, and would absolutely put each colony on it's own bottom board. It's only a matter of time before the foragers end up in a war, IMO. The foragers loyal to the queen on top have to go through 'enemy territory' so to speak. Split them.

I disagree, hes already started the work. A two queen colony will produce more than 2 one queen colonies. I would add a box between the two and add another excluder. The workers will work together. Get ready to super fast

With 200000 worker bees what to do with them after the flow is over is a concern. Eventually they will get that big in numbers.
    Yes, if they can get along then let them bee. If one queen die they will make more queen cells otherwise they will work together.
    My only worry is how to manage the bottom hive if they have the queen cells ready for a swarm. How do you do swarm control if
    cannot open up the box at the bottom?

Here's details of my two queen hive: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...fferent-breeds

I would recommend side by side in a horizontal hive rather than vertical.

They've drawn nearly 50 deep (foundationless) frames this season.

They can already touch through the excluder. You can leave it on or take it off and both queens will likely continue.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF