Default Pollen Trap for a Top Bar Hive (KTBH)

Some of you might know that I am a volunteer in Kenya making a Kenya Top Bar Hive at the school I volunteer at. All is going well, the top bars are all 32 mm and I'm making different comb guides.

I drilled 8 holes at 9 mm each at the bottom of one end of the hive. Below the holes I mounted a 2 cm wide landing board which is detachable. I was inspired to try and make a pollen trap for the top bar hive so that I can teach the students and teachers about pollen trapping as well.

Does anyone have some clear pictures and or plans for a pollen trap on a ktbh? I did a search and read a few posts but not too many pictures which I can try to imitate. I read a post by someone in Honduras with a top bar pollen trap, he also attached some pics, but not enough to be able to copy it.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I want to make the hive perfect before I hang it and it'll be full of bees.

Default Re: Pollen Trap for a Top Bar Hive (KTBH)

I was wondering, is it possible to put a pollen trap in front of 3 of the 9 entrance holes in my KTBH? Then bees can use the other 6 holes like normal and hopefully some bees would take the pollen trap entrance. Just a thought...

Default Re: Pollen Trap for a Top Bar Hive (KTBH)

The plans probably won't fit, but the concept is easy enough. You force the bees to go through #5 hardware cloth in such a way that the pollen falls through some #7 hardware cloth into a drawer that has window screen wire for the bottom. You also need a drone escape (the drones won't fit through the #5) which can be as simple as one 3/8" hole or a 3/8" hole with a wire cone over it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF