Default Hello from West Central Illinois!

NewBee Keepers here, just one week since we introduced two packages to their new homes. One Italian, One Carniolan. We did have one good day (weather) before it got cold (32) and rained for 3.6 days. So we didn't see too much activity. At the 72 hour check my wife did locate both queens, and noted there was also some comb being drawn. We've kept them buttoned up since but plan to inspect again at about the 10 -12 day mark. I can't wait! On the cold days they did not eat too much syrup at all. Yesterday (mid 50's) they were collecting pollen, and gobbled down nearly a quart of syrup. (Boardman front feeders)
    We did have a large cluster of bees on the underside of the screened bottom board. I watched it go from several hundred, to maybe just 4 or 5 dozen over the course of a week. That had us concerned. Don't know if it may have been strong queen pheromones keeping them there, or they couldn't figure out how to get into the hive, or the queen was in that cluster somehow. Never did get a definitive answer, but most have now dispersed. If this were to happen in the future, I think I would spray them with sugar water, lift the hive, and brush the cluster into a box and re-deposit them into the hive.
    We joined a local Bee club, and they will be starting a mentoring program soon. We read, search the net, and continue the search for all information we can find. So far we're just elated to have become bee keepers, and can't beelieve we waited so long to get this started.

You all have a good day now!
    BeePappy

Default Re: Hello from West Central Illinois!

Welcome to the site,

Welcome BP! Most bottom boards and hive stands do not block the front of the hive. Bees do not know under the screen from over the screen. Bees communicate by vibrations and pheromones. It smells as much like a hive under the screen as over.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    Welcome BP! Most bottom boards and hive stands do not block the front of the hive. Bees do not know under the screen from over the screen. Bees communicate by vibrations and pheromones. It smells as much like a hive under the screen as over.
    Thanks! Your explanation makes good sense given the situation. I believe a lot of those bees didn't make it as a result of being out in the cold on those rainy nights. Is this something I should be concerned about or not so much? I have the hive bodies on blocks to the left and right rather than front and back. This contributes to their having access to the open area under the hive.

Welcome to the site!

Thanks for the welcome!