Default Splits in Queen Castle

I split two of my hives and ended up with a lot of resources to make nucs. I filled a queen castle of 3 frame sections by 3. Filled each with a frame of full brood, one with honey and brood, and the other with a combination of brood, nectar, honey, and a queen cell or two.

I am feeling like it will get quite crowded before the queen starts laying. Am I thinking this out clearly, or will they be fine for another 30+ before I check for laying?

Default Re: Splits in Queen Castle

I think your set up should be fine. But be sure to check on them so they not swarm with 2 queens in the same
    hive since so crowded.

I would check in well less than 30 days. The sealed brood will quickly emerge and give the bees storage room. If it gets too full of honey take out a frame of just honey and put in one of foundation.

I build nucs using queens in a similiar setup but with mated queens, I have the latitude to move the middle nuc and put a divider in the middle and pull the outside two and now I have a five frame nuc. Mine have screened bottoms and sit on a strong unsplit colony and benefit from its heat.

This might be a dumb question but you shake nurse bees in with the frames too, right? And then the workers fly back to their original home?
    I just ordered a queen castle and want to try making a few this month and just want to make sure I would be doing it right. thanks...

I was floundering with this question myself. When I made the splits into the castle I decided which brood frame I was going to use and I simple had cut the capped queen cell out of the wax foundation to add. There was a quite a bit of loss; however, I think I found a possible solution.

When setting up the queen castle I put it a few feet away from the rest of my hives. I had a couple hives open and picked two full frames of brood that was literally dripping with bees. I put these frames in the box first. I came back later with the honey frame and the frame I intended to use with the queen cell. Because I put the original brood frames full of bees in side they were confused and a lot of them climbed off the frames and began fanning inside. This gave me a surplus of bees for the final frames to be placed in the queen castle.

It may seem messy and during a dearth would not be wise. But the flow is strong now and splitting seems easy.

Thanks. I'm doing a split class tomorrow and will also ask. I'm glad I'm not the only one a bit confused!

Just checked the box... found a virgin queen marching around checking the other queen cell that was with her. Hope the others will be out too.

She will kill that cell now, no?

Well everything is divided so made three separate sections that the bees and especially the queen can't move between sections. Turns a 10 frame into a 3 way nuc. A lot of folks make it into a 4 way nuc with 2 frames each, but I liked the idea of puting the entry holes on three sides and putting the other side against the fence. Additionally, 3 sections of 3 frames ends up with more room for her to lay, if I get held up or lazy before I put in their own 5 frame nuc. Glad its all working out.