Hybrid View

Default While I'm waiting for swarms to fly...

Since swarm season appears to be another 2 weeks off for us here in Salt Lake City, I was inspired by minz to try painting a couple of my bait hives with a camo pattern. Here's how they turned out. (There's a little more info on my blog about them.) If you get a chance, please post your camo pics here.

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

Happy Swarm Catching!!

Default Re: While I'm waiting for swarms to fly...

I wonder if it is "better" to have white, or highly contrasted colors for the scouts to see and orient to. i have never placed a swarm trap, so this is just a random thought from some newbie.

Nice camo job. I read your blog, but it didn't specify why you used the wire rack pattern.

KP, bees use their keen sense of smell to find the trap, not their vision.
    Camo is to hide the traps from predators (people).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Nice camo job. I read your blog, but it didn't specify why you used the wire rack pattern.
    On one of the youtube vid's I watched (a guy painting his hunting boat), he used different things like leaves, long grasses and even a cargo net, for cool effects. I didn't have a cargo net, so made due with the wire rack pattern simply to break things up a bit further. If I can get my hands on a good leaf, or long grass, I may still add them to the pattern as well.

I tried with leaves before, but it didn't seem very realistic, it actually seemed to make it worse. I ended up just free handing it. When you camo your face you basically want to put light camo in shadowed areas and dark colors in the other areas. This breaks up the outline of your face. I basically did the free hand and it look pretty decent. And it is a lot faster than the using stencils. In the end, you pick out the box by picking up on the straight lines of the box, be it vertical or horizontal. But the ones that I put out are pretty hard to find if you don't know were they are. Then again, I have a bunch that are just a solid dark tan color and they are hard to see as well.

Yep...I created a couple stencils out of one of those flat Fed-Ex light cardboard 9x13-ish mailers with just a pair of scissors and used them for the darker markings on the bottom. Then mostly free-handed the rest. Took about 15 min per box. It's kind of fun. I'm thinking about walking around the house to see what else I can use for something different on another box. Hmmmm!