Default first look this year

hive,4-10-13 001.jpghive,4-10-13 002.jpgmy hive made it thru the winter and is busting at the seams. overwintered in 4 mediums. removed 4th box and there were larva between the boxes. i assume these will now die. should i have scraped everything off between the boxes before putting them back together? i only removed the 2 top boxes. i figure i'll wait now until i'm ready to split them. i saw plenty of sealed drone brood as well as a few outside the hive. not sure if i'm going to be able to purchase a queen before i can raise my own. is it too soon to do a walk away split? i was thinking maybe wait another1 -2 weeks, open the whole hive up and do a walk away split. looking at the hive, i'm sure i will have some swarm cells by then. i have attached a couple pics. what do you guys think?

crabbydad

Default Re: first look this year

Probably all drones, should clean it off as it makes it easier to put stuff back together but no biggy. You might have cells already if they're making drones or if you see drones in the hive already. Were there bees in all the boxes or were the bottom(s) empty?

Default Re: first look this year

i only looked in the 3 top boxes.i didn't have a lot of time today, my sons got home from school while i was looking thru them. i'd like to go in the nexttime and clean them up and do a split. i might take a mirror and look up thru the bottom and see wat the bottom box looks like