Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Curosity question for the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Who do you know that thumps their chest every time they find a queen in the hive?
    Tarzan...but Jane then gets all bent out of shape and Cheeta has to intervene as their counselor.

If I did my inspections in a loincloth I would thump my chest when I found a queen too I suppose...
    We the willing have done so much with so little for so long we can now do anything with nothing

>If you find a queen in a hive and move her to another box will all the bees go to the new box after the queen smell has diminished form the old box?

As already mentioned several times, the bees will stay with the brood to some extent. There is some attraction for those foragers returning to favor the hive with a queen. But the nurse bees will stay put.

>I have yet to find an unmarked queen.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenspotting.htm

>Supposing you moved the old box and moved the new box where the old box was...
    What would move over besides the foragers?

Just the foragers.

>So if we put it to a vote which way is the best way to split:
    >1 Taking brood and nurse bees and putting them in another box at a new location.
    >2 Leaving brood and nurse bees and taking the queen and the rest of the bees to a new location.
    >A In one case assume the new location is distant.
    >B This case assume the new location is close.

It depends on the timing (just before the flow, during the flow, after the flow) and how much time I have. But usually I do not find the queen. It is far to time consuming. I just do the split. If I'm trying to do a "cut down" split, I might spend more time at it, but still won't spend an inordinate amount of time if I don't see the queen. But I would prefer with a "cut down" split to put the queen at the new location with all the open brood. This needs to be done at the right time to be effective.

I never take my splits to a different yard. It's a nice idea, but after years of not having a "different yard" to take them to, I got in the habit of doing splits in the same yard and have seen no reason to change now that I have many yards. It's still more work to take them somewhere else.

>Michael Bush seems to feel when you make a walk away split the foragers favor the queen. He suggest you swap the split hives to equalize numbers.

Yes, the foragers, given an even choice, will favor the hive with the queen over one that is queenless. But that does not mean all of them will go to the one with the queen.

>I don't think Bush said that. If so can you provide a link?
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm#kinds

Yea, that's probably the one he was thinking of...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    If I did my inspections in a loincloth I would thump my chest when I found a queen too I suppose...