Default Residential pest control and backyard beekeeping

I apologize if this is a really basic question... but my wife and I just started beekeeping in the backyard in the East Bay area of San Francisco. I quickly realized that we still have our every-other-month pest control service (Clark Pest control.) They spray around the foundation of our house to prevent ants and other insects from coming into the house. We still do have plenty of ants and bugs in the back yard and garden.

I'm a bit concerned with keeping the pest control service now that we've got our beehive in the backyard. The hive is located about 10 ft away from the house itself, in a secluded corner of the yard. The pest service does not spray the garden, any of the vegetables, or ground around the house , just the exterior of the house and foundation. I understand it is probably contradictory to pay for pest service - trying to kill bugs - while trying to raise bees in the yard.

I was hoping the forum could provide some advice in this situation. Should we keep the service? Would it help if I told them to avoid that side of the house closest to the bees? Or, just cancel the service all together with the risk of pesticides and chemicals interfering with the bee and potentially harming the hive? Even though they're just targeting ants, I doubt the pest control company has products guaranteed to be "bee friendly".

Thanks!

Default Re: Residential pest control and backyard beekeeping

I too use a pest control service ever since I discovered carpenter ants in my timber frame house. I have the pest control company using an "organic" formulation which doesn't make it any safer for the bees. My hives are much farther from the house than yours - mine are about 1/8 of a mile away - and I don't notice any impact. I had a swarm move into used equipment I had stacked by the house last year. I have the pest control company not spray anything in the areas I process honey.

Most of the pest control people are easy to talk with and are quite accommodating. By all means chat them up the next time you are having an application.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Unless they're coming into direct contact with where they're spraying I wouldn't worry about it that much. Just tell them pest guys to be careful and not have a bunch of overspray or drift flying around near the hive.

I am a Pest Control Operator by trade and also soon to be a beekeeper this year. Myself I try to be very conscious of beneficial insects when I am treating around homes. If you talk to your PCO about your concerns I am sure he will be careful. As long as the wind isn't blowing towards the hive and he doesn't spray flowers around your home there shouldn't be an issue. Like I said I am very careful but can't say that all are so I would definitely talk to him.

Smile Re: Residential pest control and backyard beekeeping

Thank you all for the advice. We have service scheduled in the next few weeks, and I'll for sure speak with the tech when he arrives. Really appreciate everyone's suggestions for this. Thanks!!

Definitely get to know them. I did, and now they call me for bee removal calls.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.