Default swarm trap worked today, my first ever.

I got a swarm to move into my swarm trap today. I set the bait out on Saturday night and caught a swarm today, Tuesday. Not bad but the were my bees. I am thinking I should always keep a baited trap in my bee yards. I went through all my hives twice in the last 2 weeks and thought I got all the queen cells out but I must have missed one. FWIW, I caught them in a Top Bar Hive and they came from a regular hive.

Default Re: swarm trap worked today, my first ever.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingbrass View Post
    I got a swarm to move into my swarm trap today. I set the bait out on Saturday night and caught a swarm today, Tuesday. Not bad but the were my bees. I am thinking I should always keep a baited trap in my bee yards. I went through all my hives twice in the last 2 weeks and thought I got all the queen cells out but I must have missed one. FWIW, I caught them in a Top Bar Hive and they came from a regular hive.
    Give me some more info. Did you have any bars with cone? What type of lure did you use,and where did you get it?

Awesome!
    I try to always keep a spare hive out.
    I've never caught anything in my regular locations.

FWIW, I caught them in a Top Bar Hive and they came from a regular hive.
    A Lang hive is a beekeepers preference not the bees preference. A bees preference is more like a cavity in a tree 20 to 100 ft high where humans are less likely to steel their honey.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Cutting out Queen cells? I thought more room was the main swarm stopper, a full box triggers swarming. Or am I misinformed?
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

July, some people think cutting out cells solves their problem....

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    July, some people think cutting out cells solves their problem....
    I thought that more room was the answer to.after I split the hive in half, and the old gal still swarmed with most of my young be I believe it is a toss of a coin.

I won't make any comments on swarming or much on trapping. Read mike bushs book. I set aside about 40 liters worth of space in my top bar hive, treated 4 old brood comb with BT which is sold by a member in here. Then I put 4 drops of lemongrass oil in the hive. Waited 3 days and I had bees!!!!!! Some say you only need one brood comb but I had it so I used it.

I won't make any comments on swarming or much on trapping. Read mike bushs book. I set aside about 40 liters worth of space in my top bar hive, treated 4 old brood comb with BT which is sold by a member in here. Then I put 4 drops of lemongrass oil in the hive. Waited 3 days and I had bees!!!!!! Some say you only need one brood comb but I had it so I used it.
    I've already try lemongrass oil.
    What is BT,and which member sells it?

Bt kills wax moths if you leave unprotected combs. Nothing to do with attracting swarms.

Just my 2cnts. Sometimes swarm mgt works, and sometimes it does not. Swarming is natural. Mgt. begins before the swarm triggers are reached. Once they get it into their "heads" to swarm, it is very difficult to curtail. IMHO, giving them room is not an automatic swarm stopper. Making splits will ensure you do not loose as many bees. If they are in the swarm mode when you do this, it becomes tricky. I'll re iterate the above post, check out MB website.
    Rick