Hybrid View

Default Starting comb for TBH in 8 frame Med.

I just recieved my first Nuc which was an 8 frame Med, and my first package for my TBH will be here in 2 weeks. My Nuc is ready to put a second box on, but I want to draw a frame for my TBH to get them started straight. My plan is to attach a bar from my TBH to the bottom side of a Med Frame Bar and stick it between two good combs on my 8 frame. And in 2 weeks pull it the day I install my bees. Where would be the best position to place this frame inside my 8 frame Med? I would assume that in the bottom box would be best but should I put it toward the middle or the outside edge. I will probably end up with some brood in it and hope that will help anchor the bees in the TBH as well.

Default Re: Starting comb for TBH in 8 frame Med.

I would check it after a week as they will build straight down on the ends which will be a problem in your TBH. You could trim to the angle of your TBH, but it depends on wheather you just want a start strip or a full depth comb from the donor hive.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Yeah I figure if it's in too long, I will have to trim it, that's not a problem I may put the bar in about 4 days prior so it is't fully drawn, my question is do you think it matters where at in the box I put it. it would be easier to put in the top box, but I don't know if they will have it drawn out enough to put it in between fully drawn combs. Thanks for your reply.

Bees seem to work the center of the brood nest first, so I would put it there to get it done. On the outside edge it will be when they get there, also driven by the time of year. Now is the boom build out period, so I would recommend top center brood box for fast attention. To make space remove an outside edge of the upper or move an upper frame to the lower brood chamber while taking out a frame of empty comb from below. If you put the empty frame in a trash bag and freeze while you are doing this you will kill any wax moth or SHB eggs. just take out the day before re-introduction to thaw, but leave in the bag until you put it back into the hive (when you remove your TBH bar).
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Assuming it's warm enough and there are enough bees, the straightest and fastest comb would be between two drawn brood combs in the middle of the brood nest.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF