Default Hi from Knoxville TN

I just joined. I tried the organic list but Dee ran me off.

Anyway, I started keeping bees when I was around 13 in the early 60's, and kept them off and on until 1999 when the mites killed everything. I gave up as I did not want to put poisons in the hive. Now in my area there is an apiary that sells local survivor stock untreated bees, and I starting a hive with a nuc as soon as they can deliver it. They are 2 weeks behind due to the late spring here. I am going natural with foundationless, and no chemicals, but will have a Freemen beetle trap bottom board with oil and water.

I favor the darker bees, what I used to keep were the Caucasians. That seems to be to a large extent what the survivor and ferals in this area are.

I was told this is the place to be, so I joined.

Marshall

Default Re: Hi from Knoxville TN

Welcome from Ten Mile and enjoy your stay!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Welcome to Beesource!

> Now in my area there is an apiary that sells local survivor stock untreated bees,

I bought 2 packages from Arnold Honeybee Services in Knoxville last spring. I'm very pleased with them.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks. Arnold is indeed where I am getting my nuc from. Hopefully I will get it this weekend. I noticed another user said he is from 10 mile. Well, I am actually from Farragut, not Knoxville, although I have a Knoxville mailing address.

So the packages both survived the winter without any treatment? That is great. He said that he had about 50% losses, but 75% losses were those out on pollination, with about 20% losses in his apiaries. Obviously poison was a major factor. He told me that chalkbrood was a a major problem this last winter, I guess from that extremely wet January. In previous years he had said the biggest problem was the SHB, which I am hoping the Freeman trap will completely eliminate.

Marshall

QUOTE=Rader Sidetrack;921344]Welcome to Beesource!

> Now in my area there is an apiary that sells local survivor stock untreated bees,

I bought 2 packages from Arnold Honeybee Services in Knoxville last spring. I'm very pleased with them.
    [/QUOTE]

Welcome from Kingsport.

I like the Freeman trap but don't count on it eliminating ALL the beetles. They work great at controlling the beetles but I don't think anything will actually eliminate them just as there is nothing out there that will eliminate the mites.

-js

Welcome to the site!

Welcome Marshall! Some use oil and vinegar in beetle traps, oil and water serves no useful purpose.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com