Default Cant Find Queen or Eggs

Hello All, I am in Springfield Illinois. I had two hives last year, lost one completely over the winter and now I have been watching the second one
    and cant find the queen and there are no eggs yet. Can anyone in this area tell me if I should be seeing eggs yet? I have been feeding them for
    the last couple weeks. I had a marked queen that was always pretty easy to spot. I have looked twice this last week for her and never found her. As
    of yesterday still no eggs. Should I order a new queen or wait it out? I just dont want to wait to long and loose the bees I have.

Default Re: Cant Find Queen or Eggs

Bob, a few questions that might help determine the best course of action. How much of the hive do the bees cover? Do you have a softball cluster of bees, a football size, do they cover 3 or 4 frames or more? What is their attitude - do they seem calm (indicating queenrightedness), or testy (indicating queenlessness)? Have they been taking the feed? Have you given a pollen patty? Is there natural pollen in the area yet?
    If the cluster is very small and queenless there might not be enough potential energy in the hive to recover and bounce back if they are queenless and get requeened. If you are covering a few frames completely and the hive is calm it may just be you have a naturally conservative queen.
    I am a bit north of you and we are a few weeks behind in the weather and the progression of the hives. Nothing is blooming at all, snow is on the ground and in the forecast.

I would say that I have bees covering both sides of 3 frames. They are taking sugar water and are pretty active. Last week when I opened the hive it seemed pretty calm using some smoke. Last night I opened it without any smoke and seemed a little aggrivated, not too bad. we have trees and flowers already bloomed and have had a few days in 70 degree weather.

I have the same situation pretty much. My hive survived and there are very few bees (less than one frame) so it was very easy to notice that the queen was lost. Unfortunately it's difficult to get a replacement queen so early.

This is what I would do in your case. Try to get a package ASAP and install in the lower box. Put a queen excluder and then your queenless box on top...may be use the newspaper with slits in between when you combine. If they have no queen they will gladly go to the lower box.

Bees only covering 3 frames isn't very many bees. I'm in east central Iowa, and I have lots of capped brood so you would certainly have a laying queen by this time. Feed them, order a package if you want to pay the price and can find one now (and you could do a combine then with the bees you currently have) or order a mated queen ASAP and introduce her. If she's good, you should be able to build up brood pretty quickly. If you have 3 full frames of bees, both sides covered, you should have enough bees with a new queen.

I am in agreement with iahawk but stress you must introduce a new mated queen asap.
    I would say you are queenless. Is the hive loud when you open the top or are they more aggressive than last year? I am in Calgary Canada and there is still snow on the ground but there is brood in all my hives that have queens and I have been feeding for about 2 weeks.
    Good luck.

I have seen the edgy bees when they are queen less. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hq6UiDw60w
    I try to take vids to show what it is like for all to learn from. This is a split I did back in early spring.