Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: how soon after egg is laid do they cap the cell?

Quote Originally Posted by SallyD View Post
    Thank you!!! That is awsome NCb
    I agree. Good the thread didn't end on the forth post.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    How do you know they are from a new queen? She can't see the eggs and they could be from the old queen. Maybe she can't find the queen. Pinch a drone layer? There could be hundreds of them. Why always assume the worst? And why waste brood on a laying worker hive when it is not guaranteed and you can't see what your looking at?

If this thread was just about answering the title question it could have ended on the third or forth post. And so it continues.
    Well I know they are from a new queen quite simply Ace. She split the hive. By process of elimination I'm going to say one hive has a queen in it and one doesn't. (My math might be a little fuzzy on the one hive having a queen and one not having a queen but I'm pretty sure that's how a split works). Having a hard time seeing eggs and not being able to see the eggs are two totally different things. You're assuming the hive has a laying worker in it without any information to even suggest that as a possible problem. Why waste the brood? It isn't wasting the brood, especially if it hasn't even been more then a month since the hive had any open brood in the colony in the first place. Do you even realize what suggestions it is that you're making?

edit

And as an afterthought while I'm sitting here in front of the computer thinking about it, this thread could have definitely ended after three or four comments but when people give poor advice that will ultimately lead to the needless killing of a colony for some god awful reason a debate gets started and on and on it goes.
    We the willing have done so much with so little for so long we can now do anything with nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    You're assuming the hive has a laying worker
    Nope, I didn't assume that at all. I said to cull the drones and in 60 days you will have a good indication if you have a laying worker or not. It is great to say add brood but what if you don't have any or maybe you only have one other hive. Go right ahead and dig into that hive. Maybe you can screw that one up too.

If you think my advice is poor don't follow it. I am not looking for your blessing.
    Brian Cardinal

Man, it's getting real in this thread!

Almost like Whole Foods!

Nope, I didn't assume that at all. I said to cull the drones and in 60 days you will have a good indication if you have a laying worker or not.
    Really? What you said was after 60 days of culling drone comb (apparently for no other reason then to keep mites down?) you will have a good indication if you have a laying worker or not? That's what you said ehh?

In a month shear off all the drone caps. Every week shear off all the drone caps. In 60 days if you don't have any worker brood dump the hive and collect all the honey the foragers have been collecting.

Do you even remember what you say in these threads? How can you not know what it is you're saying when there's a digital archive you can access instantaneously? Nope you didn't assume that at all? No, what you did was assure there would be a laying worker in 60 days then instruct the hive to be killed.

Go right ahead and dig into that hive. Maybe you can screw that one up too.
    Just because you're not confident in your own ability to inspect a hive and make manipulations doesn't mean others aren't.

If you think my advice is poor don't follow it. I am not looking for your blessing.
    I don't think poor adequately describes the word I would use for any of the advice I've seen you offer.
    We the willing have done so much with so little for so long we can now do anything with nothing

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    Dude, follow the rest of us on the boards and just ignore him. (like with the ignore function on the site) It saves SOOOO much frustration if you just dont see the nonsense he spews in his posts.
    As dumb as this sounds schmism I guess I never though of it, thanks for the tip

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...324#post922324

What a mess. I weakened the other hives too much in my attempt to get the other hives new queens. I will not waste my time on that again. If they go laying worker, I'll buy new queens.
    A reference from another thread on what can happen beating a dead horse.
    Brian Cardinal

A reference from another thread on what can happen beating a dead horse.
    This another demonstration of Ace failing to understand what he is reading, and then proceeding to offer poor advice. The comment Ace quote was in reference to the poster trying a "checkerboarding" technique, and not getting the results he desired. This has nothing to do with how long it takes to cap a cell after the egg is laid.

Here's the part Ace quoted, in context:
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpush View Post
    They moved again to the top of the upper deep again, staying on stores. There are not tons of bees but some have that lighter appearance making my think they are newer bees.

I guess I lost her sometime late winter. Oh well that would explain the behavior, with no brood to care for they are just "hanging out" in some clumps here and there with nothing to do, and move around and head upwards for more warmth on the cold nights I guess, or just for fun.

Well I don't think I'll re-queen. I had to move all my hives to a location a good bit away and that makes it difficult to care for them, hence my sloppy maintenance and such. I lost 2 over winter and 2 others when I tried to CB improperly, all swarmed and then for some reason all but one did not re-queen properly and went laying worker. What a mess. I weakened the other hives too much in my attempt to get the other hives new queens. I will not waste my time on that again. If they go laying worker, I'll buy new queens.

What happens when you beat a dead horse is you still have a dead horse, and a mess to clean up. A job for a "sanitation engineer"!

A reminder: clicking the blue arrow in the quote box takes you right to the quote cited.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    A reminder: clicking the blue arrow in the quote box takes you right to the quote cited.
    Thanks for the tip. I did not realize that
    Monrovi

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Coast beek View Post
    This is a link to The Beeyard Queen Rearing Calendar, well worth bookmarking. Just plug in your dates and the calendar is generated for the cycle.

http://www.thebeeyard.org/queen-rearing-calendar/
    nice link since i work with AHB i have to subtract at lease 3 days from the date it Generated