Default I need some guidance

I hived my package of bees on apr 25 and have been feeding them since then and they seem to be doing quite well so far. The population has really grown. My issue now is they are taking almost two gallons of sugar water every two days and I am not sure why. I am wondering if I can take the sugar water away from them and they will be ok. I do have two deeps on my hive and have done my inspections every week or so. I would like to put my queen excluder on and a honey super on just so they can start drawing the comb in my honey super. I dont plan on removing any honey from them this year but would like to get my honey super drawn out for next year. I am new to this and have figured out that I should probably leave them alone and they will probably be fine I am just trying to give them what they need.
    Thanks

Default Re: I need some guidance

If you put a queen excluder on between the bees and undrawn frames don't expect much. Leave off the queen excluder till they draw out the frames otherwise they will not move up into it. Keep feeding if they are taking it...sounds like you are doing all the right things.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

First - do they have stored sugar water in their honeycomb? If they've got stores you don't have to feed, but if you want them to draw comb - why not just add the super and keep feeding them. Will be harder to get the bees to draw comb as you get later in the summer.

Not sure what you gain with the queen excluder - will likley slow comb building in super. Let queen decide where to raise brood. You can always move brood frames down in the Fall.

Good luck!

I started last year, so I'm no expert. I was going to leave the honey supers on, and let them winter on them last year. My hive swarmed, and didn't replace the queen. I almost lost my hives because I didn't have enough bees to defend hive beetles on all the frames. I saved them by pulling everything off, but one brood box, and freezing all the frames. I bought a queen, and requeened this hive. I see hives that go into the winter with 2 deeps, and 2supers all the time, but I think that you need to inspect the hives because the beetles can take over quick.

Er, dp...that thread is almost two years old.

Ed

Er,Ed the hive beetle must have missed it two years ago because they are still trying to lay eggs in my hives!

? I guess it did.