Default Questions re. new package install

Three days ago, on Saturday the 6th, installed two new packages of bees into 10-frame deep hive bodies with wired foundation. I have entrance reducers on each hive, and a second super on top with a feeder sitting on top of the frames, since the entrances have been reduced. As of today, both queens have been released. Many, many bees, however, are still hanging out above the frames and are even drawing comb from the inside of the cover over the empty super. I've gleaned that I should now leave them alone for a week or so, now that the queens are out and about, except to feed them. My question is, what about the comb they are drawing from the inside of the cover? Will it keep them from moving down into the frames? Should I remove it when I open the hive to feed them? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

Default Re: Questions re. new package install

Not sure why you have an empty super. Are there frames etc in the 2nd box? I would not leave them with empty space. If you are using this space to feed them, you may want to put the inner cover over the 10 frame hive body and feed them from above the inner cover. But not sure if this would be too disruptive at this point. Others will chime in
    DsBs.Etsy.com

I don't use inner covers. I was told that, since we're in SE Louisiana and it never really gets very cold here, they're not necessary. The empty super is used to provide a space for the feeder that won't be raided by robber bees...so I was told. There are no frames in the second box, just the feeder and lots of space.

Those combs are just going to get bigger and filled with eggs. Inner cover is not for warmth but to maintain beespace above the frames. You're in a pickle now.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

I put an inner cover under my mann lake top feeder to get less comb in it.
    If you give them a place like you have they will draw comb in it, & the queen will lay in it.
    Dan

mine draw comb on my top feeder too.

Newbie here too, so what should he do to remedy the situation?

Quote Originally Posted by JewelWeed View Post
    I don't use inner covers. I was told that, since we're in SE Louisiana and it never really gets very cold here, they're not necessary. The empty super is used to provide a space for the feeder that won't be raided by robber bees...so I was told. There are no frames in the second box, just the feeder and lots of space.
    You aren't using it for cold. You are using it for keeping bee space intact. If you don't want to use an inner cover, then cut a piece of plywood to size, and drill a hole in the middle of it, put it between the boxes in order to separate them from each other.

U need to not have a feeder in an open box. The inner cover should be in between the feeder/box. Bees will build where they want too.

Quote Originally Posted by blasket View Post
    Newbie here too, so what should he do to remedy the situation?
    He/she could tie the combs into empty frames, put them in the lower box, and shake the bees into the box with the foundation. Then either use an inner cover or an entrance feeder. Pretty daunting for a newbee, but sooner is better than later.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    He/she could tie the combs into empty frames, put them in the lower box, and shake the bees into the box with the foundation. Then either use an inner cover or an entrance feeder. Pretty daunting for a newbee, but sooner is better than later.
    This is exactly what I did, with the exception of tying the small combs into the frames. Since I didn't have anything handy to make an inner cover with, I removed the entrance reducer and replaced it with an entrance feeder. Hopefully, they'll all settle down and all will be well.

I still don't understand, though, how I would have used an inner cover when installing my new packages. I couldn't have put the inner cover on top of the bees that were just shaken out of the box, could I? I watched a couple videos about how to install and they both showed the box of bees being shaken over the frames, but neither showed any cover at all being placed over the top...as if the bees would just all crawl down into the frames and all would be well. That's not how mine behaved. They all gathered on top of the frames and putting a cover of any kind over them would have smooshed them.

I'll let you know how it goes, Blasket, so that you can learn from my numbskull mistake.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Thanks Jewelweed, I'm installing my first package Saturday, I need all the help, I can get.

If you put the inner cover on the brood box, Then place the feeder over the hole in the cover the bees don't get into the upper box with the extra space.
    I hope that explains it.
    Dan

It's super exciting, isn't it? Good luck!
    I peeked under the covers this morning...there were bees and all was calm. I'm hopeful and cautiously optimistic that I'm on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    If you put the inner cover on the brood box, Then place the feeder over the hole in the cover the bees don't get into the upper box with the extra space.
    I hope that explains it.
    I get that the inner cover keeps the bees from getting into the upper super and creating comb where it's not wanted, but how do you get the new bees from their package into the frames and under the inner cover?

Leave out a few frames when you dump the bees in, and then replace them. If you put them back in gently, the bees will get out of the way. Actually, the same is true for the inner cover. Set it on gently, and they will get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ledge View Post
    Leave out a few frames when you dump the bees in, and then replace them. If you put them back in gently, the bees will get out of the way. Actually, the same is true for the inner cover. Set it on gently, and they will get out of the way.
    Ah. Makes perfect sense now. Thank you.

Got that, Blasket? Good luck to you this weekend!
    I have always loved a window, especially an open one. ~Wendell Berry