Default Hive Body vent hole oops

I made a mistake and drilled a vent hole on the side of my hive bodies and not in the front (no excuse, just not paying attention.) They are not large holes, about 3/8/'. Is that O.K. or should I patch them?

Default Re: Hive Body vent hole oops

Don't think the bees will care which side they are on so I'd just leave it as is.

You may have to be a bit more careful where you put your hands the next time you lift the hive body
    DsBs.Etsy.com

Why don't you just plug them with some glue and wood dowels? Drill the hole where they belong and you are done. It should disappear when you paint them.

I wish that was the only mistake I've ever made......plug them with glue and dowels and forget about...you'll make many worst boo boo's...

I think the bee's will be pretty flexible about it but if it were me I'd just plug and move along. By the way, I've taken old boxes that were previously drilled where I didn't want holes. What I did was to buy some of that epoxy putty...the kind where you mix one paste with another....and then pushed it into the old drilled hole. A few hours later it was ready to sand and paint. Hole gone and life is good again!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Another option. If you drilled the holes for seasonal ventilation, and the hole locations are not really in your way, just leave them as is. If at times you need them closed off, insert a properly sized cork.
    To everything there is a season....

Dowel & glue, you'll thank your self later after you put the boxes into service & don't like that spot. There are worst mistakes, like turning the hand holds inward. I've never done that of course!

Rwlaw, I had one box that was miscut like that. I didn't notice until it was all assembled & the glue dry that one on the handholds was on the inside. You would think the manufacturers would be more careful.

The bees will plug a 3/8" hole for you.

It's a robbing risk. May never happen, but it's outside of outside frame, the least protected area. For the time it takes, plug it.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Duck tape.