Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: Petition: Direct the EPA to ban the use of Neonicotinoid pesticides

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    They have smog warnings for places like this and you can download a smog app for your smart phone to let ya know how bad it is. May 25 there is a worldwide march against Monsanto
    Now Monsanto is being blamed for smog?? Ridiculous!

How many of those May 25 marchers will drive cars to the march assembly points?

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    Watch this video, then tell us that neonicotinoids don't harm bees....
    Soapy water kills bees, too! Are you going to now campaign against soap and detergent??

Neonicotinoids are insecticides. Nobody is claiming they don't kill bees. Of course insecticides kill bees. But the issue is whether neonicotinoids are responsible for widespread bee decline. In spite of a lot of shouting and screaming, no one has has succeeded in proving that point.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 05-19-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Actually, a LOT of people are claiming that the call to ban neonicotinoids in the US (like they just did in the EU) is a "rush to judgement" and "not based on sound science," etc. In this thread, Blue Diamond stated:

"Why is it extremely unlikely that the neonics are causing problems for bees? Answer: Lack of exposure due to the extremely tiny doses that are used to treat seeds and the fact that the seeds are buried in the soil.

Example: A 2.5 gallon container of Bayer's Poncho/VOTiVO seed treatment, contains 40.3% clothianidin

Only 2.7 fluid ounces of PONCHO is used to treat the 80,000 kernels that are found in one ~ 50 pound bag of corn seed that will plant 2.2 acres of land in corn.

So that means a 12 fluid ounce soda pop sized can of PONCHO is enough to treat a whopping 9.8 acres of corn = the size of SEVEN foot ball fields!

And means 3 quarts of PONCHO is enough to treat 74 acres of land in corn = the acreage of turf typically found in a 18 hole golf course!"

Watch the video, then tell me neonics don't harm bees....

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Soapy water kills bees, too! Are you going to now campaign against soap and detergent??

Neonicotinoids are insecticides. Nobody is claiming they don't kill bees.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    Watch the video, then tell me neonics don't harm bees....
    What video you are refering to? If it's a video about planter dust that's a once a year potential bee exposure problem during dry and windy conditions and is largely mitigable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4VKaaq70Yc

This video: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...l-in-minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDiamond View Post
    What video you are refering to? If it's a video about planter dust that's a once a year potential bee exposure problem during dry and windy conditions and is largely mitigable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4VKaaq70Yc

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Limonchenko View Post
    Imidacloprid is 7297x more toxic to honeybees than DDT (acute toxicity). However, acute toxicity is not the main problem. Imidacloprid is highly persistent (160 days halflife time in water, 2 years in soil)
    Andrey,
    The California Department of Pesticide Regulation's research shows that Imidacloprid photodegrades with a half life of 3 hours in water and photodegrades with a half life of 39 days in soil. Unless it's buried, it's not as persistent as you think.

http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/pubs/fatememo/imid.pdf

I've seen bees drink urine fresh from the pig!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Nothing keeping your bees from sucking up raw sewage from septic fields or pastures. They do it. You've already eaten urine in your honey! so what's a drop or two in your coffee?

That's strange because I keep hearing how the bees are in danger or annihilation. And that is pretty much everywhere. I was under the impression where is a desperate need to fix what ails them. Multiple times over. So gain I guess it is a matter of what is considered fine, healthy and thriving. From what I see the only reason e have bees at all is they have a tremendous ability to repopulate. After a winter in which huge loses are the headline story. I am not hearing about how swarms are being seen in many placed in greater numbers than usual. This does not mean these bees are swarming into a healthy environment. in fact they will swarm into the same environment that caused the devastation just months ago. I would not characterize it as healthy.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

[QUOTE=Daniel Y;942948]That's strange because I keep hearing how the bees are in danger or annihilation. And that is pretty much everywhere. .[/QUOTE

Your hearing what you want to hear.... Read the USDA reports on numbers of bee colonies in the US... yup we have had a cpl tough years... but the numbers show a level to increase in hives....
    Last edited by Barry; 05-20-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: political

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567