Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Default Re: Petition: Direct the EPA to ban the use of Neonicotinoid pesticides

For the record,
    I have never posted athing about 'chemtrails' - I don't believe in the existence of 'chemtrails' - that is yet another American based conspiracy theory. Nothing to do with reality - nothing to do with me.

I was under the impression that most of those countries had actually only temporarily suspended neonicotinoid use for a couple of years. I may be mistaken.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

I believe it was in January that they placed a temporary ban on them pending investigation. Those investigations resulted in a two year ban, also pending further investigation as well as a study of the results during the non use of them. So from a short term ban to a two year ban in less than 4 months. The current direction of this issue is not good for the pesticide.

I find it strange that people will argue for the benefit of others at their own expense. Sure keep your higher yields. I have a strong back and can shoulder the losses for you. As the community as a whole claims how difficult it is to make a profit keeping bees. Maybe it is time for less crop and more bee?
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    borderbeeman you have started 79 treads, all which has something to do with pesticides. That sound like ranting to me.
    Can we start a petition to ban borderbeeman from this site. I live in the middle of the corn belt and have had no problems.
    hope he doesn't get run off like Dr. Pedro.
    Im really not that serious

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    hope he doesn't get run off like Dr. Pedro.
    Dr. Pedro?

He was an outspoken advocate of fgmo. Run off? Kind of brings to mind images of tar feathers and pitchforks dosent it? Let's just say some folks enjoy the give and take of debates more than others.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by borderbeeman View Post
    For the record,
    I have never posted athing about 'chemtrails' - I don't believe in the existence of 'chemtrails' - that is yet another American based conspiracy theory. Nothing to do with reality - nothing to do with me.
    If our American conspiracy theories are so plentiful, why do you need to bring another? I love those English Manners as you come here to run us down. Pip Pip, Jolly Jolly, Rot Rot aand all that! Goodbye!

Err, in this case, it is borderbeeman who is the victim of good old fashioned American manners....having been accused of promoting conspiracy theories. There is plenty to criticise here, but this isn't it.

Deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

I am really glad that borderbeeman is posting links and sincerely hope that he keeps doing so. I don't think he has profit in mind when it comes to bees, but is sounding warning bells that all is not well and showing us many connections between neonics and bee loss.

From my own personal experience, I don't want to have my bees next to any farmer field as I am likely to lose a much larger percentage of them than I do for my town bees.

Then indirectly, I read on some of these posts that I and others must be a bad beekeeper for not keeping my country bees alive. For those that are seeing success in the middle of the cornfields, I am now wondering if location to other sources of pollen just might be the reason for their success. I don't have much access to Goldenrod as others do as the farmers around here are grabbing all available acreage to plant their crops as they are in a boom cycle.

So Borderbeeman, keep posting those links and I'll be my own judge to the validity of them.

http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/w...1&O=D&P=161176
    "There are **** few scientists who have stated that actual field studies found that neonics are causing problems for bees."

Why is it extremely unlikely that the neonics are causing problems for bees? Answer: Lack of exposure due to the extremely tiny doses that are used to treat seeds and the fact that the seeds are buried in the soil.

Example: A 2.5 gallon container of Bayer's Poncho/VOTiVO seed treatment, contains 40.3% clothianidin

Only 2.7 fluid ounces of PONCHO is used to treat the 80,000 kernels that are found in one ~ 50 pound bag of corn seed that will plant 2.2 acres of land in corn.

So that means a 12 fluid ounce soda pop sized can of PONCHO is enough to treat a whopping 9.8 acres of corn = the size of SEVEN foot ball fields!

And means 3 quarts of PONCHO is enough to treat 74 acres of land in corn = the acreage of turf typically found in a 18 hole golf course!

And means a 5 gallons of PONCHO is enough to treat nearly a whole square mile of land in corn!
    Last edited by BlueDiamond; 05-16-2013 at 02:43 AM.

Then it must be okay if someone urinates in your coffee if it is only a little bit. One problem I have heard is that the clothianidin finds it's way from the ground coating a seed to the pollen of the eventual plant. from there it is blown in the wind to anything and everything. I don't think there would be a problem if it stayed in the ground. Not for bees anyway.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

BlueDiamond,

I don't think I understand your message, other than it is just a tiny bit of poison and it shouldn't kill them. -- Well, it is enough to kill the intended pests and I have seen my bees in the corn gathering pollen and they arrive back to my hives with that very pollen and they store that pollen and then feed it to my bees. My understanding are that neonoids do stay in the ground -- What is the lifespan of these pesticides --- Isn't it true that weeds that come up after the harvest now have the poison in them as well. Does the poison compound in the soil when the second and third planting occurs. I know Farmers are trying to get second crops into the ground within a single growing season. So how much poison is in the corn/soybean plant when my bees make their visit.

Again, there is a major difference between my town bees and my country bees in hive survivability. And one of the differences that I can think of is the variance of food availability and then seeing huge amounts of fields each with each corn/soybean plant having their microdosage of the pesticide neonoid.

I am next to a corn field with one of my yards. I have never seen the bees working the corn tassels. I have seen bees work the corn tassels of sweet corn.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    One problem I have heard is that the clothianidin finds it's way from the ground coating a seed to the pollen of the eventual plant. from there it is blown in the wind to anything and everything.
    With what consequences to bee health?

The chemicals that come out of car exhaust are lethal to both bees and humans at high enough concentration.
    But at highly diluted concentrations both bees and humans do fine in places like this:

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPAguy View Post
    BlueDiamond,

Again, there is a major difference between my town bees and my country bees in hive survivability. And one of the differences that I can think of is the variance of food availability and then seeing huge amounts of fields each with each corn/soybean plant having their microdosage of the pesticide neonoid.
    How many town hives are there?

How many country hives are there?
    Dont tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled. - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Then it must be okay if someone urinates in your coffee if it is only a little bit.
    Nothing keeping your bees from sucking up raw sewage from septic fields or pastures. They do it. You've already eaten urine in your honey! so what's a drop or two in your coffee?
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Nothing keeping your bees from sucking up raw sewage from septic fields or pastures. They do it. You've already eaten urine in your honey! so what's a drop or two in your coffee?
    Heh. Yea it's always an interesting reaction that people who own town hives have when they discover that their town bees are enthusiastic dumpster divers. Honey is an amazing concoction....
    Dont tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled. - The Quran

My two cents:

Could it bee that they're using probiotics?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDiamond View Post
    With what consequences to bee health?

The chemicals that come out of car exhaust are lethal to both bees and humans at high enough concentration.
    But at highly diluted concentrations both bees and humans do fine in places like this:
    Well no. People do not do fine in places like this. they develop respiratory diseases suffer with breathing and when the smog gets bad enough some folks die. They have smog warnings for places like this and you can download a smog app for your smart phone to let ya know how bad it is. May 25 there is a worldwide march against Monsanto
    Im really not that serious

It's routine to see honey bees down in that smog of Los Angeles in residential yards and in industrial parks nectaring on ornamentals such as bottlebrush, rosemary, etc. Year after year. Plus the pest control operators get calls to kill swarms. Same situation on neonic farmland - lots of thriving bees.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast