Default Negative Environmental Impacts caused by Honeybees

Called the forest service to find out whether there would be any stipulations about placing a hive at my cabin which lies within the national forest land. They mentioned that if it was private property there was no problem, however outside of that it wasn't okay because its introducing a non-native species...? This is true, although there are clearly swarms that have moved in or foragers crossing into their borders.

My question is what are the negative impacts of honeybees on a new ecosystem?

Bringing diseases and pests to other pollinators?
    Taking away resources from other native pollinators?
    Chance of the hive swarming and taking up permanent residence in the new environment?

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Negative Environmental Impacts caused by Honeybees

The greatest problem is it can cause the EPA to jump down your throat because you have honey bees. They ignor the fact that there are 5,000 feral hive living in the trees in the woods surounding you. This is because they can't get money out of those trees.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Unlike fire-ants and kudzu, honey bees are beneficial non-native species. Once they were introduced to the America's, they swept across the land ahead of the European settlers so I'm suprised that anyone working for the National Forest Service would even express concern.

I hope you harvest tons of dark, wild-flower honey from the woods around you.

The non-native species is already introduced... Their claim doesn't make sense. On a similar note I called the Missouri Department of Conservation about a apiary location I had found via satelite relatively nearby to where I live that's on Missouri State land. Keep in mind the Missouri State insect is the Honey Bee. Turns out their policy is to not allow any domesticated honeybees on State land due to liability concerns.
    Last edited by D Coates; 04-09-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Ran across the same thing with MODOT, they were worried that hives on road right of way may bring on a sting to a state worker that might be allergic. My hives now are within 100 yards of the highway so my bees travel up and down the highway already. Ignorance seems to equal wisdom when it comes to the government.

It seems as though either the organizations in charge of the land don't have a policy for honeybees and say no because they don't want to deal with some unseen fall out that could happen in the future, or the fear of approving something that will make them liable in some way or another. I assume and almost hope these policies are reactionary to previous ridiculous claim that have been made against federal agencies.

Outside of liability and fear to approve something, we still haven't discussed any environmental impacts??

I emailed the Bee Lab at the University of Hawaii this question, considering the islands are completely isolated and honeybees are relatively recent import (1800s).

Just bait your equipment with LGO and old brood comb. Catch a swarm and do not evict them.
    You’re not introducing anything.

Sounds good until someone "steals" your hives because you don't have permission to put them there. I'm not about to put my hives where I don't have clear permission from the landowner.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Quote Originally Posted by bethesnowbird View Post
    Bringing diseases and pests to other pollinators?
    Taking away resources from other native pollinators?
    Chance of the hive swarming and taking up permanent residence in the new environment?...
    I think, all of them are real concern. National forest land, perhabs, is only territory where diversity of species still exist at some degree. These diversity is absolutely essential for the whole ecosystem. Thus, native pollinators are important and yes, EHBs compete with them quite successfully. We could not control 100% the spread of EHBs into the wildness (we actually should!), but I think it is reasonable policy do not intentionally introduce foreign species into wild habitat. Letting domesticated bees "escape" into wildness is irresponsible - feral bees and other species would be affected by new pathogens introduced by "foreigners".
    Серёжа, Sergey

I know of guys that seem to like using MODOT right of way as a wild flower plot for their bees, but they place them on private land adjacent to the interstate. How many bees do they lose when they splat on the vehicles? I think that would come out as a push in the long run as far as productivity goes.

As far as competition to native species, it would be interesting to see a study on that. Sad thing is, there is no relevant data from before the time of the honeybee in the US to compare it too. Honeybees are pretty well established as native in all locations. And they can hardly be considered domestic, you can not control their forage area like you could a regular farm animal.

Disease control, there they have an issue and many states require inspections. But has that ever stopped mites, SHB, or any other parasites from spreading?

I've removed swarms and colonies that must not have read the ordinance prohibiting their very existence. I can't keep bees in a hive where I can manage them and requeen if necessary and do what I can to prevent swarming but if they move into a cavity in a tree or house they are fine. I don't get it.