Default Timing of Spring flow in Ct. ???

Any thoughts out there as to when to super with this crazy weather we've had? Now that it's becoming nice I'm wondering if everything will just pop at the same time???

Default Re: Timing of Spring flow in Ct. ???

My big hive wintered in 2 deeps and after inspecting yesterday they have a lot of sealed brood in the 4 center frames of the top as well as the bottom box. All frames are covered in bees and they have already drawn out comb on 3 of 4 new frames added to the top box. ( I donated 2 frames of honey / Pollen to each of the 2 packages installed 15 days ago.)
    I'm hoping the new frames slow down the swarming drive but these boxes are almost full of bees already. I was going to do a cut down split on the big hive but I'm just not sure of the timing of everything. Should I wait until we're well into the spring flow to do that?

Ok, so by the lack of responses I'm guessing that I'm way ahead of things?! All the red maples are blooming here and I thought this was the beginning of the nectar spring flow season?? This is my first Spring with bees so any thoughts would be appreciated.

This is only my third year, but i have not seen much movement for a flow. Normally things have started but the real flow is much more the end of the month into May. Dandelions, fruit trees, milkweed, clover etc produce the best spring early summer flows for me. I find that the early stuff is used up pretty fast raising brood and building up their stores for themselves, just watch the frames and when you start to see everything filled and brood is really expanding put on a super. I would look at doing splits in a couple of weeks, but the weather has been a mess and you will just have to watch the bees.
    I agree that this year may be a march like weather to a full swing summer. The skunk cabbage has just started to open at my house.

Thanks for the input. I had thought the skunk cabbage was already out but yesterday afternoon I noticed it had really popped up a lot more. I'll probably watch them and split like you said. Although someone made the recommendation that I put a third deep on and try to encourage them to keep building up. I'm not sure about that one???

Sorry for hte delay in getting back to you. You can add a third deep, however i would just add a shallow or maybe a medium. The deeps get very heavy if they are full and moving them around all the time is a back breaker. I am transitioning to all mediums just to make management easier. You can swap around brood and honey frames as needed and run unlimited brood chamber with out an excluder. Take a look at Micheal Bush's website there is a good deal of info on running mediums as well as other topics.