Thread: Bottom boards

Default Bottom boards

Can you take a solid bottom board drill holes add screen to have the best of both worlds. Some solid with some screen or is this out there just wondering if anyone has tried it. Reading on here some like the screen bottom others like solid again wondering if one could have a little of both. My thinking is a total of 6 holes 3 to a side any where from a inch to 2 inches round.

Default Re: Bottom boards

Apparently the SBB's are marginally effective so I wouldn't bother with what you're suggesting.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I have a few bottom boards that I added screen to in an effort to add more ventilation. What I noticed was if the vent screen is small they seem to get covered with debris and dead bees. I would go with a screen bottom board or do a decent size screen as opposed to small holes from what I have observed.
    Major

Don't use one at all until you have warm nights and a large large population to keep brood from getting chilled.

There have been lots of discussions about the pros and cons of screened bottom boards - I have a very specific reason why I don't use them, while others swear by them. I encourage you to see what you can find out about them in the archives. Then let us know what you decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by crewdog61 View Post
    Can you take a solid bottom board drill holes add screen to have the best of both worlds. Some solid with some screen or is this out there just wondering if anyone has tried it. Reading on here some like the screen bottom others like solid again wondering if one could have a little of both. My thinking is a total of 6 holes 3 to a side any where from a inch to 2 inches round.
    I have created a few bottom boards. Solid, Screened, Slatted, Screened w/sliding solid bottom. Seriously I think I've made them all. I'll eventually upload my 3D models and pictures for people but if you're trying for a happy medium (or want to try several approaches at once) then make a screened bottom board with a removable solid part. You can make the screened board and solid board the same size so that you can slide in one or the other or you could use two dados (slots) so that they can both be in at once.

One of my bottoms is slatted, with a removed screened bottom and a removable solid bottom. I can slide in and out the screen and replace it with the solid or I can keep the screen and also have the solid (there's 2 slots).
    Last edited by ARGluck; 04-10-2013 at 03:27 PM.