Thread: Moving a swarm

Default Moving a swarm

Hello,

I caught a swarm today in a swarm trap (deep box) and I want to move it 30 feet from it's original location. I think some of the bees will want to go back to it's original location after I move it. What is the best method of moving this swarm.

Thanks

Default Re: Moving a swarm

You can move them 4'-5' or so a day until they are where you want them to be
    You can move them a couple miles for several days and them move them back
    You can just move them the 30' at night and force them to re-orientate the next morning by placing some brush etc. over the entrance forcing them to re-orientate as things will be different to the foragers. I actually prefer to just place some boards stacked in front of the hive that forces them to come out and fly around the previous open entrance. Leave the boards there for awhile then you can remove them.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Default Re: Moving a swarm

Quote Originally Posted by bsteineman View Post
    Hello,

I caught a swarm today in a swarm trap (deep box) and I want to move it 30 feet from it's original location. I think some of the bees will want to go back to it's original location after I move it. What is the best method of moving this swarm.

Thanks

You can just close up the hive for 2-3 days and they typically won't return to the original hive anymore.