Thread: Noisy hive

Default Noisy hive

Since this is my first hive, I was just wondering if a noisy hive is a good thing? I can hear it the hive from 3 feet away. Just curious. Thanks.

Default Re: Noisy hive

A noisy hive is a busy hive. If no activity at this time of year then you should be worry now.

Can you give some more info? You say new hive how long has it been since you got them? Was it a package? Sometimes queenless hives will have a loud roar. Have you checked on them to make sure your queen is laying? Have you looked inside to see if anything else looks out of place? Hives drying honey will have a roar. If your curious about something going on in your hive take a look. Now that you have bees this is the time to learn the hands on stuff you can't learn from books. If you get stumped on something keep you camera close by and take a picture. Then post it here most are more than happy to answer questions and a picture will help them give better answers.

Pete,,

get in touch with a local who can help you,, there is a local association,

this is a link to the SC state association which lists all local associations,,

maybe someone can help you

http://www.scstatebeekeepers.org/Def...pageId=1213126

When they are doing an orientation flight, yeah, you should be able to hear them some distance away, and yesterday we had nice weather and lots of things blooming, I could hear them buzzing as I walked up.

If there isn't much activity in front of the hive and you can hear them buzzing inside, I'd think queenless -- they get agitated in the absence of a queen. They will usually become "runny" -- bees running all over the comb and "dripping" off the bottom when you pull a frame -- and fly up much more when queenless. Occasionally they become quite crabby and bang off your veil a lot, too.

Peter

Yep, inside a queen less hive after a split http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hq6UiDw60w
    They are more edgy and running around a lot. They're much better now since the new
    queen is laying.