Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

First Install, Room For Improvement

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  To bee or not to bee 
#1 ·
Bees were picked up in GA. Sat. 4/6/13 about 6:30 AM, I went over Sunday morning to the guys house and got my 2packages.
Sunday 4/7/13, 60* some wind, new med 8 frame, used jacket and veil, no gloves.
I sprayed #1 package, must not been enough because boy they were mad at me.
6 stings on the hands and 1 on the leg. Trying to get the gloves on was a circus.
#2 package went a lot better, I guess to much spraying, to install the rest of the frames on #2 it took a long time
for the bees to get out of the way. I was afraid I created a carmel popcorn ball. I also sprayed the foundations as installing.
I took the cork out of the candy side but didn't poke a hole tru the candy, I held the Q cage with a rubber band, cage horizontal screen up.
Now after the install I put mason pint jars with 7 or 8 holes drilled .040 dia. # 60 bit in the lid over the round hole
in the inner cover.
I could not find qt. size and the pt. fits with medium super. Monday 8th (today) I had to fill up with more sugar water.
There seems to be more dead bees outside hive 1 then hive 2, maybe they can't get the popcornball out the small entrance hole.
I put water about 30' away, someone said if you put it next to the hives they won't use it. The neighbors pool is about 400' away.

Now...when do I check on the Queen what do I look for and whats my next step.
I guess I should change my handle to...2 bee...

See less See more
#2 ·
How do you change your handle? I don't know how, help.
Yes, you should check on the queen after 5 days. This is not a standard only my own experiences in case you
want to know. Whether or not I check depends on how I feel the hive is doing after installation. Like are they
bringing in nectar and pollen? How busy are they at hive activity and general moods.
On a hive check, you are looking for eggs and if your queen not mark then don't even bother with that. Hard to find her now.
The next step is to FEED FEED FEED some more.

#4 ·
Check to see if the queen has been released in two days. If she is not out by then you should remove the candy plug and carefully dump her directly into the hive. Do this right over the hive and have your hand cupped around the cage so that if she tries to fly you can gently swat her down into the hive.

Make sure the bees are sucking down your sugar water, it should be mixed 1:1 I would put a lot more than 7 or eight holes in the lid, try 20-30.

After the queen is released you should leave them alone for at least a week (except to refill the feeder)

At that time check to see if any eggs have been laid.

Its normal to see a bunch of dead bees outside the first day or two, their are usually quite a few dead bees in the package, but after the first coupe days you should never see more than three or four dead bees left outside the hive.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
Installed Sunday, Monday the pint jars were empty of 1:1 mix.
Is a pint a day per hive enough to start out?
I have top feeders (the plastic type that comes with a short super and a screen) that I would use after they get build up.
I could try to find qt. jars and add the second med. super so I can get the top cover on.
I take it that I should not use a smoker to check the Queen

#6 ·
Considering you got stung installing a package, a smoker would be a good idea. Typically package bees are so happy to have a real hive they ignore the big human shaking them around and dive right in.

A pint a day is typical, and if you have a hive-top feeder I'd ditch the jar and put the hive-top on. Just put half a gallon a time in there to start with. That way you only have to go in a couple times a week, which the bees will appreciate.

Peter

#7 ·
Thanks
I put the jar over the round hole in the inner cover with out spacer sticks.
That keeps the bees out above the inner cover, they don't seem to mind me changing jars.
There's some that come out the hole when I take the jar off, but I get some grass and chase
them away after I replace the jar to put the top cover on.
If I would have had my gloves on from the getgo it would have been a better experience.
I see youtube people installing packages in short sleeves no veil or gloves, FatBeeMan says just put liquid BBQ smoke
on your hands, arms, face and neck.

#8 · (Edited)
Tuesday I checked to see if the Queens released from the cage, hive #1 wasn't out, some dead bees in the cage, the candy
wasn't eaten in side that much, much more was eaten from outside in. I didn't know which one was the Queen.
I took the cork out of the other side shooked them intio the hive, I couldn't tell were they went.

Hive #2 was released and most of the candy in the cage eaten.
My concern is do I have a good Queen in hive #1.
Today I watched the bees at both hives and didn't see any differences.
I only seen one bee at each hive bring back pollen.

#9 ·
Hive #2, the next time you do a hive check try to find some new eggs. If you see the eggs then
you will have a queen in there. How come not mark the queen? One glance you will find the queen
on the spot with different color.
Depending on the level of queen acceptance, you can release hive #1 as well.
Queen acceptance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVKalyj1xiI

#14 ·
Thanks
Tuesday, day 9 (a week after I checked on the Queens)I checked on them (pulled a couple frames) and I have eggs, pollen and honey in both hives.
#1 hive had me worried. I guess in 21 days I should have new bees in both hives.
On hive #2 I don't know if the frame I pulled got turned around or not because I was trying to hold the frame and take pictures.
Michael, I didn't get it all right, some things I remembered in the heat of it some not. I would say the most important thing to do when starting out is get a mentor. I wish I had one watching over my shoulder.
I guess my next step is to know when to add a 8 frame med., that's 3-4 weeks away I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.