Hybrid View

Default Raising Queens Got an idea I want to try what do you think?

Ive got a breeder queen I practiced grafting last fall some. Ive got a cloake board and that is the method I used last fall, but I really feel like its just way more work than is necessary, but if I have to use it I will. Ive got a hive that is just booming, I got the bees in a cutout two years ago. Last year they did not even try to swarm never seen a queen cell in that hive. The queen is not marked ive got every queen Ive got marked but that one. She is a good one. That hive right now is just unreal strong. Ive got others making queen cells this one still isnt trying to swarm. But I know I need to replace the queen shes not young. I want to find her in the hive and take a push in queen cage and contain her to one frame for 5 days then remove her from the hive and put her in a nuc with some drawn comb and some bees. Then the next day I want to graft some larvae and drop in that hive where I removed the frame from. What are your thoughts on this. My thinking is to keep the queen in the hive until all the larvae are too old for the bees to make a queen out of then add the grafts. I will keep this old queen too and raise some from her. Those bees have never been affected by mites. Got good amount of honey from them last year, but the only drawback is they are a little hot, not real bad, but they are not gentle. You wont be working them in short sleeves Ill put it that way. I know some folks think that a queen right hive will finish the cells better than an emergency situation. I agree with Michael Bush in the thinking that if the hive is strong enough and has the means to feed the cells they will make good queens either way. I need some queen cells very quickly too it has been cold here until this last weekend and Ive got some hives making queen cells anyway the trees dont even have any leaves yet.
    Oh and after I take the cells out of the hive I will leave them one do you folks think that using the push in cage to contain the queen in the hive to keep it queenright until all her eggs are too old then remove her and drop in the grafts. I think it will work, but I would like to know if anyone has done it.

Default Re: Raising Queens Got an idea I want to try what do you think?

It takes almost a week for the eggs to turn into a larva big enough so they cannot make qc off. Are you going to contain the queen for 5 days or
    more? If it is a yes, then I hope it work out for you. An idea I have is just put the old queen in a nuc hive. Then allow the current hive to make
    as many queen cells as they want. Since there are so many bees I'm sure they will make some good queens from.
    Then you have to worry if the daughter queen is gentle or not. Not fun to deal with many hot hives if you are grafting from a mean bee genetics.
    Eewwll! I got my taste of that already last year.
    Oh, does not matter if the trees have leaves or not now. Because some plants put out flowers first before their leaves. Plums and willows came to
    mind as well others. If you see pollen coming in that is a sign of early spring now.

yes was intending on leaving her in the cage until all the eggs are too old. And so far hot bees that I requeen that are mated at my place usually turn out more gentle I hope it stays that way. I used to think That mean bees wouldnt bother me but I hate them now. I do want to raise queens off her but I have an hygienic Italian that I got last year from Glenn Apiaries that I want to raise a bunch off of. Also yeh they are bringing in pollen and there are some flowering plants right now its just starting, but it was a month earlier than this last year. But the queen cells are coming the same time as last year despite the cold weather.

Yes, this year is a bit unusual for the late spring and weather. But I think we are finally in the spring time now. Our roses are blooming outside now.
    It is time to do grafting as well. Yep, they are not doing any business now so get them as many as you can to preserve their genetics.
    I was quite late last year learning from a friend here. He got the breeder queen from Glenn also but they did not make it because low in worker population. What a waste of genetic I think. Good luck to you then. Have you try the OTS notching method before?

no havent tried that method. Last fall I tried to graft some queens They had good acceptance but there was a drought here I tried to feed to bees, but could not get one good queen cell I got cells but the queens didnt have enough Royal Jelly. I knew it would be difficult with the weather conditions but I think I could do it right now with pretty good results. Im really only wanting to raise queens a couple times this year but would like to graft about 40 at once the first time. This hive is big enough to do it.