Default Is this goldenrod??

I know it is probably hard to tell, but can anyone tell me if this is goldenrod?

Here is another pic that shows all of the dead stalks from last year.

I was thinking of planting something for my bees, but I currently have several acres of this.. whatever it is..

Thanks.

Default Re: Is this goldenrod??

Looks like broom sage to me. Does it produce a wind born fluffy seed that clogs up the radiator of your tractor. Not sure broom sage makes it to NC

It's not goldenrod. The growth habit is all wrong, but I don't know what it is yet.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I am very familiar with broom sage.. but that's not what this is. This is a leafier plant (as seen in the first pic), that did bloom.. but I can't remember if it was yellow or white.

This is broom sage:

Quote Originally Posted by Walliebee View Post
    It's not goldenrod. The growth habit is all wrong, but I don't know what it is yet.
    Thanks for your input. I really don't know what it is. I came across this picture on wikipedia, and thought "now that looks really familiar". But I don't remember exactly what it looked like. Before I got bees, it was just some weed.. now I am re-thinking its usefulness.

It is also my understanding that there are all different varieties of goldenrod.

WallieBee is correct; Goldenrod is more individual stalks that do not branch (except at the top when it flowers).

Maybe try to google 'meadowsweet.' It can take on many different colors and forms.
    John Sampson-Tucker County, WV
    14 hives - All cutouts and swarms

Nope, it is not the goldenrod. Goldenrod more of a single growing plant. Some are short and some are tall plants.
    Right now they are growing in single plant form. The rootlets spread underground to bring up new plants the next
    growing season.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like Bayberry????
    Rick

I thought that now that it is in bloom, maybe someone may be able to help ID it. Thanks.

I can't ID, but that is a totally different species of plant than in your first picture. Look at the leaves, completely different.

The only thing I can ID is, at the base of the yellow flowering plant, there is a wild strawberry plant.

butter weed?

Actually thats yellow rocket... its very close to butter weed. but butter weed has a larger dia and hollow main stalk...

Thank you everyone. It looks like it is yellow rocket. I googled butter weed, but the search results were certainly not what I was expecting.. lol

It is not Yellow Rocket. That's in the Mustard Family and would have flowers with 4 petals. The plant pictured has a ray disc of petals. That puts it in the Aster Family. Packera glabella (formerly Senecio glabellus) common name of butterweed, cressleaf groundsel and yellowtop is closer to what this is, but this species does not grow in North Carolina. I believe it is a Packera (a.k.a. Senecio), just don't know what species. ...lol about the butter weed search.

That is golden ragwort also called golden groundsel, it grows everywhere around central NC this time of year but my bees don't seem interested in it.