Default Installing in mediums.

I think I asked this question a few weeks ago, but I am not able to find the thread and responses. Does anyone know a way that I can keep track of a thread that was started by me, instead of having to scroll through all threads and forums looking for the green dot?

Now my question. I am going to start a few hives with mediums as the hive bodies. When I install the 3 pound package into the hive should I only use 1 medium or should I start out right away with stacking 2 mediums? I will be using medium frames from honey supers from last season in order to give them a jump on drawing out comb this season. Thanks, juzzerbee

Default Re: Installing in mediums.

oops
    Last edited by dfaulkner; 04-08-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: misread
    Dave Faulkner. Zone 5b
    Third year beek in awe of these bugs!

Forgot to add this part..........As of now, I am planning on using frames of already drawn comb from my honey supers from last year for the hive bodies. Is there anything I should do differently when installing them? Thanks, juzzerbee

Quote Originally Posted by juzzerbee View Post
    I think I asked this question a few weeks ago, but I am not able to find the thread and responses. Does anyone know a way that I can keep track of a thread that was started by me,
    Click on your name in the upper left corner of a post you have made. Select view profile from the drop down menu. Then on the left side you can select "find latest posts started"

I think this may be what you are looking for:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...d-package-size
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

One medium is twice as much space as a package needs, so.....only use one.

At least that is what M.Bush told me last year and since it worked I guess he was right.
    Last edited by Aerindel; 04-08-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Yes... one med. The drawn out frames with allow the queen to lay as soon as she gets out.

Rattlefield, thanks for the help finding the thread.

As for starting in 1 medium...... since I will be installing the 3 pound package into 1 medium which will already have 10 drawn frames, at what point how will I know when to add the 2nd medium and so on? When I started with foundation last year, I added my second once 7-8 of the frames were drawn.

Is there any reason I should place 2-3 frames of just plasticell(what I use) foundation in the medium instead of all 10 frames being already drawn? My thinking is maybe the bees would "learn" that they need to start building comb. Just a thought.
    Thanks, juzzerbee

Quote Originally Posted by juzzerbee View Post
    My thinking is maybe the bees would "learn" that they need to start building comb. Just a thought.
    They have done quite well without us for several hundred million years. In fact they will do much better without Plasticell, which they also didn't need for several hundred million years.