Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Top bar hive questions for newbie

I used a q-tip also with the Anise and Vanilla. I used the Vanilla because I had read somewhere on the forum that some one's grandad, (Ibelieve), Used Vanilla. I didnt think it would hurt until I got the lemongrass oil in. Our local grocery store only had imitation oils, so I didnt even bother. I live so far out that the grocery store is about 20 miles away and the nearest convienence store is an old country store about 15 miles away and closes at noon on Saturdays and is only open during hunting season. There isnt anybody I know that has bees near me. I have had people ask me about the hives when they come to buy quail and eggs though. The first thing I get is, "why would you want bees?". The next is, "let us know when you have honey".

Two words: Amazon Prime!

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    Two words: Amazon Prime!
    What is Amazon Prime?

Amazon.com has a thing called prime. You pay I think $100 a year and you get free shipping. I have a friend who buys almost everything he gets this way. If they had meat, dairy and produce, he probably would!

+1 on the les crowder book.

there's now an accompanying DVD out there too....i've not yet seen it but i imagine i will purchase it to watch with my family.

i get my bees on May 3rd.

very excited!
    Zone4A
    “We can love completely what we cannot completely understand.” -Maclean

I am a first year top bar hive person, too. I read Wyatt Mangum's book : http://www.tbhsbywam.com/ . I think his designs and methods are pretty solid, but I don't really have much experience. I hived two packages at the end of March. One is doing very well, but the other doesn't have a queen. (one is on order)

The location of the entrance doesn't become very critical until winter when the brood nest needs to be at one end, and with a middle entrance it will be in the middle. As far as top or bottom, my top bar hive when it had legs blew over, so I set it on the ground and then had mouse and skunk problems, so I went to the top.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I found topbars 1 1/4 but lowes doesnt stock the triangle corner or half round molding for the bees to attach comb. They do have strip molding, 1 1/4" wide X 1/4" thick. Will this work like paint stirrers or should i have someone rip the triangles for me?

I'm on my second year with Langstroth hives. My 18 year old son has been helping me with them and has decided to get a Top Bar. There is a new bee supply company near me who just built his first TBH. Very basic. I have asked him to build my son one. We are to get together with him tomorrow and discuss any changes we might want. This thread gives me the opportunity to ask a few questions.
    1) Is an observation window a good thing to have or more trouble than they are worth?
    2) The guy who built his first one had 3 holes down the long side of the hive. Looks like the consensus here is they should be on the end. Why can't the entire bottom of the end board be open like a Langstroth? Could even add a
    3" landing board and a reducer as well?
    3) Looks like the bar width is up for grabs. I understand they will draw out to 1 3/8", so 1 1/2" bar width?
    4) Any other recommendations?

Thanx for any input.

frstmer, 1/4 inch guides will work, but you would need to attach them somehow. If you can get a kerf cut you could go that route.

Belewsboy,
    Put in an observation window, particularly on the first hive. It will let you get an idea of what is going on without disturbing the bees. Lots of fun to watch.

I use 4 holes near the front on the side of the hive. I like it and it works for me. If you feel you want move of an opening you could go the Michael Bush/Sam Comfort method of leaving a space in the top by moving a bar back. No reason to use a landing board (ever see a landing board on an oak?)

1 1/4 is more like it, but some go with 1 3/8's (quibbling over 1/8 of an inch). Split the difference and go with 1 5/16's. 1 1/2 would be for honey stores and even then you may need spacers.

Read everything you can and don't try to turn you TBH into a Lang!

This is why I like an observation hive, and pointy comb guides.
    IMAG0341[1].jpg
    Not a great picture, but you could see the comb through the window and know that they are building straight comb.

Those are actually 1 inch bars with a 3/8 inch spacer.
    Last edited by shannonswyatt; 04-20-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added content

I use all 1 3/8" bars (more or less...ripping with a bandsaw isn't the most accurate), cove moulding attached point down, no wax on anything, 5 holes on the end 3/4 of the way up (I forget the size, but a wine cork fits perfectly to adjust total entrance size). Splayed out 2x4 braced legs (probably overkill, but several storms with 50+mph winds didn't budge it). I don't use a follower and they allways seem to put the brood chamber on the end by the entrance without any help. My lid is plywood inside 1x3, covered with scrap RV roof rubber. It did lift off in one storm so now a single ratchet strap holds it in place. Solid bottom. All day direct sun, so I do put out a patio umbrella on still 100* days.

I think the bees are pretty adaptable and tolerate variations on the theme well enough, as long as you don't dork with them too much.

HOORAY!!!, I have 2, 3lb packages shipping the 7th of may. I have one TBH ready with paint stirrers in ripped groove and the other one with the box and follower's built. Aquiring top bars and a piece of plex glass now to put in observation window. Does anyone have an opinion on leaving the window uncovered 24/7 or have a cover that slides/folds down to look in?

I believe that you'll want to have a a way to close off the window. Bees naturally do their thing in the dark and leaving the window open 24/7 might make them unhappy.

I would close it. Another thing to consider is if the sun EVER shines in it for even a little while, the hive becomes a "solar wax melter"...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF