Default Still trying to find the right bee space

Maybe this isn't a big deal but I want to at least try to give the bees the space they need under the inner cover , I've made everything my self for the first time and it would be easy to get a measurement wrong like I did with the depth of my frame rest. I since re-cut my frames rests to 5/8' deep and I have a 1/8 lip on one side of my inner cover and and more on the other side . If I put my inner on and measure down to the top of the frames through the vent , one side gives me 1/4'' clearance and if I flip it over I get 1/2'' , I want to cut a notch for ventilation out on the edge of the cover on the bottom side so I need to know which way I'm going to put it on.

Default Re: Still trying to find the right bee space

Bees can squeeze through 1/4 however, 5/16 - 3/8 is considered bee space.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

So my 1/4 '' one way is pretty tight and a 1/2'' is to much ? Has anyone measured down to there frames to what clearance they have , if necessary I could rip my cover down to 3/8 on the table saw.

I would not sweat it (mine have about 3/4, to accomidate a full sized top entrance, and there is very little problem with but comb). If you only have a couple of hives or less, you would just have to scrape a little more wax. However if you want it just so, yes cut it so that there is 3/8 space from the top of your frames to the bottom of the inner cover.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Thanks for the help .