Default Hello from Hawaii

I've had a top bar hive since last July and it's been going pretty well. I just set up a Lang in the backyard in March. I purchased the top bar from backyard hives so it has a solid bottom and here in Hawaii it's kind of hot for that set up. The girls are bearding right now! I guess I have to drill some holes and put in some soffits. I have pulled 4 bars of capped honey out of this hive so far and one more is going to be ready soon. I guess the girls work all year around here in Hawaii, although I did notice some slow down during the winter months. I'm pretty much still a novice at this beekeeping business but I have discovered a great hobby here! I might have to put up a fence if I start anymore hives..LOL
    Last edited by lasergyro; 04-08-2013 at 05:55 AM.

Default Re: Hello from Hawaii

Welcome LG!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to the site!

Welcome! Do you put geckos in your Lang?

Welcome, & watch out for those small hive beetles. Parts of HI are having problems with them.
    Dan

Yeah Dan. Got the hive beetles in my top bar. I've got them on the run though, I made a little stand to put an AJ beetle trap on and low and behold the beetles like to hide under the trap in the gap. I stick my little invention in the back of the top bar where there is a couple empty bars and therefore a space. Killed a bunch so far! It's getting less and less beetles every visit which is probably good news!

LOL CaBees! No geckos in the Lang. They do like to hang out on the outside of my top bar and in the attic under the roof, however.