Default New from Upstate SC Intro

Hello! Joined the local Bee Keepers Association about a year ago, read a lot of books, most of this forum (very awesome BTW), as much as I could find on line, and took a 6 week class offered by the local association. Installed 2 packages on March 30 and am finding out, the bees didn't do as much prep as I did. They certainly didn't read the books...LOL. Also finding out that hands on is the best way to learn and there is a lot not in the above materials. For example, one hive is doing as expected based on my "education". The other, not so much. Not building any comb, so I think that queen may not be there any longer. Can't find her but inexperience may be the reason.
    So searching right now for the answer....do I need a new queen? Shouldn't they be building comb? or do they need an active queen to do that?
    So much to learn and don't want to kill my bees while I do!
    murphy

Default Re: New from Upstate SC Intro

Murphy, I filled my new lang with a 5 frame Nuc and they have just now started to draw out comb on the new frames. They are plasticell and I have heard that it takes awhile for the girls to draw out comb on them, not like the beeswax foundations..

Welcome Murphy. If you feed them they will draw! Two weeks is not long to start a package. Feed and let them try!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Hi Murphy! Hope I can help. I am a newbee too. I installed 4 packages on the 30th and have been feeding then 1:1 from the get go. I waited one day and checked on the queens. They were still in their cages and I decided to release them after only 26 hours. Was taking a chance but I wanted to try it. I was surprised to see comb being built in just 26 hours! A lot of it. I went into the hives Sat. (with my mentor) and the frames were heavy with nectar and pollen. We found all 4 queens but none of them were laying eggs. Mentor felt like it was due to the cold wet week we had. My strongest hive will need to have another super added soon! 6-7 frames were already drawn in just one week. If you are not feeding them that may be the problem. I am using bucket feeders on top of the inner cover. Of course I have that covered with a box and the top cover. I can give you the name of my mentor with the Pickens County Bee Assoc. or why don't you plan on attending our meeting this Thursday and asking him in person?

http://www.pickenscountyscbeekeepers.com/clubinfo.html

Hank
    Pickens Co.

Thanks to all for the advice and welcome. I am convinced the original queen is gone....I had an issue with her cage and since there is absolutely no comb whatsoever on any of the 10 frames, I took a chance and installed a new queen (obtained this morning lucky me). She is in her cage and hopefully will be accepted, if not then I am out the bucks for a new queen. And have made a big mistake...hopefully not catastrophic. I have two hives one of them has comb all over and is being filled. So it is the comparison along with the issue with her cage that has me convinced that she is gone. I have also been feeding them 1:1 since install day of March 30, they have not been without food. I am attending our Bee Association meeting tonight and will pose the question to them.
    And Hank...thanks for the invite, I do plan to attend one of your meetings soon. Your president is our guest speaker tonight and I am looking forward to it. She is going to discuss queens...just what I need! Will look you up when I do attend. In the meantime, it is nice to have another mentor and I of course will be happy to help you if I can.
    Thanks again
    Murphy

Hello again. I hope she can help you tonight. My mentor is our V.P. They are both very good. Good luck.

Maybe we can share notes sometimes. If you're ever in the Table Rock area please let me know and I would love to show you my girls.