Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

#5 fabric/netting on marking cages

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  beepro 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where to purchase the number 5 fabric/cloth used on the ends of the queen marking cages? I already have #5 hardware cloth but have not been able to locate the netting found on the end of the marking cages.

#6 ·
I was looking around for everything to fit on the marking tube.
From potato chips package, to frozen fish pagkage mesh.
The identical size mesh is from my wife's foam bath sponge. It is the right size , and is exagonal like the comb. The right time to make your move, is 2-3 in the morning, when she is in her deep sleep.

#9 ·
I think the aluminum window screen roll is the #5 wire cloth. I use the window screen to screen my medicine
bottle queen marking tube. After the glue is dry I use a small scissor to cut off the crossed wire to make the holes
bigger. \_/ Almost like that size to mark the queen with. It works so far.

See the wire if you can

Attachments

#11 ·
Because I had crushed the queen bee by accident after marking her while waiting for the
paints to dry, I made an improved version of this marker. I placed a small foam inside
the tube at the top with 2 notches to allow more room for the queen bee to move inside.
You can say this is a "crush proof marking tube." This will prevent the foam plunger from
accidentally being hit on to crush the queen.

See the notches at the top?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.