Thread: Success!

Default Success!

Decided to try my hand at grafting this last week. On Wed. the weather here was beautiful 70 deg. and sunny no wind, but do to my schedule next week I knew I would not be able to harvest cells at 10 days, so I waited until Thurs. On Thurs. weather was not great windy, temps in the 50's and rain threatening I decided to try anyway. I have a booming 3 deeps (8 frame) hive I wanted to graft from. Going after the brood I was mauled lots of bees stinging my gloves and jacket so instead of grafting at the kitchen table I was in the cold garage with poor lighting, couldn't remove my veil so brood was definately hard to see. Only did seven grafts before placing in hive. I decided to try the Ben Harden method (queen in bottom box, queen excluder, 2nd box with grafts and some brood and stores, and top box, I didn't use any dummy frames as hive is packed with bees). I peeked in today and found 4 started cells, with the poor weather and grafting conditions I wasn't expecting any so 4 is great. I will take and post pics when I pull them. Thanks for everyones willingness to share info. here. Just thought I would share my success.
    Thanks,
    Ben

Default Re: Success!

Congratulations, you're doing better than me.
    Have watched a couple exerts do it, failed last year, & will try again soon.
    Dan

Default Re: Success!

Good job!
    since '09-25H-T-Z6b