Default 2nd Year Beek - 1st Year with a KTBH - Just Saying HI!

Hey All- I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been wanting to keep bees for years and then in 2011, finally decided to take the plunge. I took a class at a local bee school and then got myself a warre and a ktbh for my 2012 Spring launch. My now-ex then decided to forbid me from keeping a second hive, so I only populated the warre last year - which ended up swarming and not producing a viable queen, which I sadly didn't notice because I was in the middle of getting divorced. The only good thing about a hive die-out is that it makes the whole business a lot easier to move!

So this year, I'm starting over - and have just dropped my KTBH off at a local farm who is hosting the hive and get my bees next weekend!

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy bee season!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HoneyintheRox.wordpress.com
    1 KTBH / 4 Foundationless Lang / 1 Warre

Default Re: 2nd Year Beek - 1st Year with a KTBH - Just Saying HI!

Welcome back!

> which ended up swarming and not producing a viable queen, which I sadly didn't notice because I was in the middle of getting divorced.

I'm pretty sure there is material for a joke about drones in that statement, but I'll just leave it at that ....
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Good one, rs....honeyitr....nice looking hive...bees will love that site......greenhouses in the rear ?

They're hoop houses, they just put the second one up a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if they're permanent or if they come down. I'm excited to be keeping bees out of the city!

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyintheRox View Post
    I'm excited to be keeping bees out of the city!
    Well, realistically, it depends on what type of ag you are going to have them close to. If you have them on a farm full of Roundup-Ready GMO crops, or are sprayed with neonics, that's not a good thing.

Bees are NOT Roundup-Ready.

Often times, the city is better, ironically...............but I know I'm probably preaching to the choir.

This is actually a compound of about 5 organic farms bounded by a bunch of mom & pop apple orchards! There are thriving hives on all the mini farms but this one. The farmers on this one tried out beekeeping last year bc they felt like it was something they were "supposed" to do but ignored their hive and then forgot to put the mouse guard on in the fall and their hive got destroyed by rodents....it was also a Lang that they put right on the ground. The whole thing was under-planned. They're thrilled to have the bees and not have to do anything about it.

Glad to see you got back with the bees. As for divorces, I can relate. Enjoy life! I, like you have wanted to keep bees for years and years. I built two KTBH a couple of months ago and started my packages three weeks ago. There seem to be doing great out here in eastern NC. Your hive looks great. Good luck and have fun.