Default My homemade SHB killer

I decided to try my luck at building my own freeman style SHB trap. I tried a beetle blaster and caught 2 beetles in about 3 weeks (lame). I am more lethal with my hive tool! It seems like the hive is keeping them in check for now but I really wanted them to die. So, I hit the wood shop. Unlike the Freeman trap I made mine to fit under my screened bottom board. I used a lasagna pan filled with vegetable oil instead of making my own pan. The down side of the lasagna pan is that it isn't wide enough to catch every SHB that falls through the SBB (it is long enough). So, I framed the pan in with some wood so if beetles miss the pan they have the option of accidentally wandering into it. Also if any beetle larva show up they only have one way to go, eventually into the oil. My wife and I installed it on Sunday and already there are 20+ beetles floating. I am pleased. My only worry is ventilation now that the pan pretty much blocks all of the air coming through the bottom. I put some screen under the pan rather than putting a solid piece of plywood to try to help with ventilation. I figure I can take the trap off once winter hits and ventilation really becomes a factor. Maybe I am wrong, but they aren't bearding or anything. So for now, very pleased. I highly recommend this style for trapping these jerks.

Default Re: My homemade SHB killer

Nice! How does the hive fit on this, though (the raised lips have me cornfused). Can you post a photo? Great photos, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Davidson View Post
    Nice! How does the hive fit on this, though (the raised lips have me cornfused). Can you post a photo? Great photos, btw.
    I was wondering about the lips as well. Great build.

Good point. The two shims on the front and back are to seal a gap in the SBB so bees can't wander into the oil pan.

Ahhh, nice! Great job.