Default Petition: Ask Amazon to Ban Bee-Killing neonic garden products

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Sto...isons/?cCVKvbb

Most of the campaigning about neonics has been about the use of these systemic insecticides on crops like corn, canola, cotton and soybeans - which make up around 200 million acres of neonic treated crops in the USA. However the backyard garden and urban landscape has been largely missed out of the analysis. A visit to Amazon's website reveals that there is an enormous trade in systemic, neonic-based insecticides for use in the garden, on the lawn, on parks and landscaping, on trees and shrubs; on container plants, hanging baskets, and potted plants in the home. Systemic neonics render all of the flowers found in these areas highly toxic to bees.

PLEASE JOIN THE PETIION AND ASK AMAZON TO STOP selling all neonicotinoid-based garden pesticides including:

Bayer's Provado,
    Bayer's Ultimate Bug Killer,
    Bayer's Vine Weevil Killer,
    Bayer's Lawn Grub Treatment,
    Bayer's Tree and Shrub 'Protector' ,
    Bayer's Dual Rose Care Insecticide: all are systemic neonicotinoid -based garden insecticides.
    PLUS DOZENS OF OTHER BAYER NEONIC PRODUCTS

All of these are 'highly toxic to bees' according to Bayer's own labels. The labels sell the idea that the bees in your garden will be Ok if you 'don't spray plants when bees are around'.

But these are SYTEMIC INSECTICIDES - and are advertised as 'provide total insect control for 30 -90 days - or even 'year round'. The sale of 'Tree and Shrub Protector' and 'Lawn Grub Control' are the worst scenarios for bees - since the tree blossoms and shrub flowers will be systemically poisoned with neonics. Any flowers that grow on or near a lawn treated with imidacloprid-based pesticides, will be highly toxic to bees, bumblebees, butterflies and other pollinators.

Click on Thumbnails to see neonicotinoid based home-garden-use pesticides

Tree & Shrub insect Control.jpg31EwebHnyZL._SL500_.jpgblue_original_502570B.png91bepj-W0eL._AA1500_.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by borderbeeman; 04-09-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: pesticides, neonics, amazon, bayer

Default Re: Petition: Ask Amazon to Ban Bee-Killing neonic garden products

Gee Whiz, instead of this silly petition, why don't you simply ask people not to buy these products?

Amazon will quit selling this stuff in a very big hurry if customers don't buy these products!
    Graham
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Er - that's the idea of the Petition - to get people to stop buying stuff - but the vast majority of consumers fall for the labelling - they really believe what bayer tells them - that as long as you spray a systemic insecticide onto your garden plant when there is 'no bee around' - then the bees will be OK. Then in the next line on the label they tell you - "kills insects for up to 30 days, 90 days, one year". Because systemics remain fully toxic for the entire growing season. You could call this 'creative marketing; I prefer to say it's outright lying.

Okay, I can kinda see the point. When you buy this stuff online, you often don't read the label until you are about to apply it. By then you've spent the money already, it's a pain to return it, and you can easily convince yourself that it won't hurt this one time but you just won't buy it again. Meanwhile the seller has the completed sale, thinks he's got customers that want the stuff, so he keeps on restocking it.

The way to handle it is to go after Bayer for truth in advertising, but that takes a loooong time. Meanwhile bees are dying. So while I am not usually in favor of this sort of approach, this time I'm kinda agreeing.

FWTW

Rusty

edited to add that I just came back from that link. While I agree about ASKING Amazon to stop carrying them, and I could even see asking them to add a note to these products saying that they kill bees, I am not in agreement with the idea of threatening them with a boycott. To me that is overkill.

JMO
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)