Thread: Reversing Hives

Default Reversing Hives

I did my first inspection today here in NH. I found the queen, saw plenty of eggs and capped brood, there is also still a lot of capped honey left in the hive. The question i have relates to the room left for the queen to lay in the upper hive, there isnt any (or very little).... It still gets into the upper 30's here at night so I don't know if I should reverse the hives or add another deep with drawn comb for now. I don't want to add empty frames because there is no flow on so I don't think they will draw it out. but if I can reverse should i open the frames of honey up so that they can move it easier or will they uncap it on their own.

Thanks

Default Re: Reversing Hives

You have the option to do either way. But the best way I think is to give them the drawn combs so the queen have more space to lay. You did not say how many bees you have in how many deeps to over winter on? Let say your hive is booming with bees and almost about to swarm. Then it makes sense to reverse the hives. If they are average in population then add the drawn combs is fine too. I like the idea of the drawn combs alternating with the honey frames. HHHDDDHH H=honey frame and D=drawn comb. They will find the honey combs to uncap if they needed the extra resources. Also don't forget the patty as well. This will help them raise more broods.
    If the population is low then you can also add some frame of nurse bees from the other hives if you have any. This will help them tremendously.

Default Re: Reversing Hives

thank you beepro, the hive was overwintered in 2 deeps, the top deep is boiling with bees and I have been feeding pollen for the past 2 weeks. So I think i should probably go ahead and reverse now. i was watching the weather and ist not going to go below freezing for the next week and I know that I'm going to have a couple of frames hatch out by next week so they should be ok.

Thanks again for your sdvice
    Mike