Thread: Swarming

Default Swarming

I am unsure of what is going on, but I have the feeling I have had a hive swarm 3 times already. It was loaded with bees the last time I looked, but they were not moving up into the boxes I put on. What would you recommend I do. I am thinking about moving a few frames in each supers around to get them up in the box. Any help would be great

Default Re: Swarming

Need some more info...are they drawn frames or foundation? Box size? How many frames of bees is "loaded" to you?

Deep broad - Emrie sp? Shim - Medium Broad - Shallow honey supper all drawn out. I recently put 4 shallow supers on them weeks ago. It is all 10 frame and they are staying within the first 3 boxes. I am thinking of staggering the shallow super frames within the new 4 I put on. I don't know if its a good idea. These bees were very strong going into winter and its been up and down winter down here.

Are you in pisgah national forest next to TN? Is there anything blooming? I'm a lot further down the mountain than you if that's where you are, and things are just now starting to pop. If there's no nectar coming in...

I created a mess with pollen patties and feeding them. They were booming and have swarmed a few smaller ones instead of larger swarms. Yesterday one of my normal hives swarmed a monster swarm. I live near the coast and a few of my beekeeping friends were hit hard this winter thanks to the rough August and fall. I am not too concerned with this hive right now. If it wants to swarm I will keep catching them and building them up for a few friends to get some bee's. Thanks for the help though.