Thread: Lack of pollen

Sad Lack of pollen

I have two hives and both seem to have wintered well(N.KY.) One hive is bringing in a lot of pollen. The other is bringing in zero. The one bringing in zero is also going through sugar water at a 20 to 1 rate to the other hive. Anybody know what's going on?

Default Re: Lack of pollen

Quote Originally Posted by mhal420 View Post
    I have two hives and both seem to have wintered well(N.KY.) One hive is bringing in a lot of pollen. The other is bringing in zero. The one bringing in zero is also going through sugar water at a 20 to 1 rate to the other hive. Anybody know what's going on?
    You need to open them up and find out what they are doing. If they aren't bringing in pollen, it can mean they are broodless and may be queenless. You have to know what is going on if you want to keep bees.

Thanks Vance. That was one of my thoughts, but finding a queen can be a daunting task at times. I appreciate the input.

I'm thinking queenless also. Although, I KNOW one of my hives is queenless but they are still bringing in pollen.

Just opened the hive. I am queenless with no food reserves left. All frame comb is a very dark brown and totally empty. Question(s). Can these frames be re-used? I have a new, extra, queen coming this Friday.Ok til then? New frames? (which I have). Need help! Thanks in advance.

Requeen, reuse the comb. My hive has been queenless since last Sept. and still doing ok. You'll be fine.

Thanks. One more question. At first, I thought the population was high due to the activity outside the hive, But once I tore it down,just an estimate, I'm quessing there's only about 1000 bees left. Being they only live about 6 weeks, is there going to be enough time to procreate? Keep in mind these are wintered bees and our winter went on forever.Thanks again.

How is the second hive doing with their population now?
    Maybe you could put a frame of nurse bees for them to build
    up the population more. Maybe the 2nd hive have capped broods too?
    Now I know why we're advise to have 2 hives.

If your population is that low, you definately need to move a couple frames of bees and brood to the weak colony and then introduce the new queen. Just make sure you don't get the queen. I would do it now in fact. That way, you can check the good colony before you introduce the new queen. That way, if you inadvertently moved a queen with brood, you can kill the cells that were started and introduce the caged queen to the good colony. It is always good to have a plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by mhal420 View Post
    Thanks. One more question. At first, I thought the population was high due to the activity outside the hive, But once I tore it down,just an estimate, I'm quessing there's only about 1000 bees left. Being they only live about 6 weeks, is there going to be enough time to procreate? Keep in mind these are wintered bees and our winter went on forever.Thanks again.

Will do. I really appreciate the advice.