Default Nuke to medium hive?

I have an opportunity to get some nuke hives, but I only use medium hive bodies and I don't plan on building any deep hive bodies this year. Is there a way to transfer a nuke to an all medium hive body hive?

Default Re: Nuke to medium hive?

Perhaps you could put the deep frames from the nuc into 2 stacked medium bodies along with some medium frames. (Don't break up the brood.) It probably will take some time, but keep moving the deeps to the outside of the brood area as you can until they are not used for brood. Then they can be removed. You will get comb built on the bottom of the medium frames. It can eventually be cut off and added to another medium frame.

After you have the queen working in a box above the deep frames you might also consider using a queen excluder above the stacked mediums to speed up the process.

This is probably not the best (or even good?) solution. Hopefully a better answer will come along.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I wonder if.anyone's tried this
    I would guess there would be empty space at the bottom. I wonder if it would be worth messing with the bur comb.

Another option is to treat it like a cutout and just cut the comb out of the deeps and tie them into mediums.
    Ralph

jesseakc, I have made a box spacer which is essentially 1/2 a medium box in height. This will allow you to put the four or five deep frames in the center and regular medium frames on the outside. You can fill in the bottom of the medium frames with what ever or let them go wiled in that space. It depends on whether you are going to pull those medium frames on the outside or not. Next year in the spring you can clean out the bottom box because it will be empty and go back to all mediums as before. I had to come up with a plan because my nuc supplier uses deep frames. I would not do a cut out on nuc.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    . You can fill in the bottom of the medium frames with what ever .
    Good idea! Stuff some crumped up newspaper in there to keep them from filling that area with comb.
    Ralph

Sounds like a plan! I'll give it a try. Thank you guys so much!

Yes, there are several methods described in other, earlier posts on this forum.

If you think about it, it is fairly logical. Deep frames will fit in double medium supers (with a little extra space beneath), and, of course, medium frames will fit into medium supers. They can easily be arranged, where the only empty space is below the deep frames. So, it is fairly easy to combine deep and medium frames into a pair of medium supers. There are many ways they can be positioned together, so the bees will begin using the medium frames, then the deep frames can be gradually moved where they won't be used for brood. Once they are free of brood they can be removed from the hive and replaced with additional medium frames.

The bees will often build extensions of comb beneath frames that have extra space there. Once any comb is brood free, which can be affected by placement of the comb in the hive (controlled by the beekeeper). And once it is free of brood, can be removed, and the comb extended below frames can be sliced-off with impunity.

If you do place spacekeepers in that area, other than solid wood, especially paper, the bees will soon tear it to shreds and remove it from the hive.

BTW, "Nuke" is an abbreviation for Nuclear warhead. Nuc is a kind of shorthand way of referring to a Nucleus honey bee colony.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 04-07-2013 at 09:12 PM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    If you do place spacekeepers in that area, other than solid wood, especially paper, the bees will soon tear it to shreds and remove it from the hive.
    It could be tin, plastic, wood, brick, stone, concrete and materials such as paper, styro, wood shavings, coffee, juice containers or anything wrapped in aluminum foil.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping