Thread: mites

Hybrid View

Default mites

I have never had a high might count. yesterday I was doing surgery on my hives and looked into some drone cells and found that about ever 6 one I have a mite or 2 in them. I live in utah so my spring just began last week. what do I need to use so that I can slow them down. I read that most things you can only use for a few weeks before you can add you honey supers on. My hives did rely well most of the hives came out of winter only using 8 frames for winter so I have 10 to 12 still full of honey.

Default Re: mites

JMHO, that is not as accurate as a bee sample. Mites prefer drones so it is not unusual to find them there. IMHO, it is not an automatic treatment sign. Others might disagree.
    Rick

I agree with Rick. I would do an alcohol wash, or sugar shake if you don't want to kill any bees, and see if your mite level is over 3%. Randy Oliver's site " http://scientificbeekeeping.com/" can give you the details on how to test and how to treat. I just used a single Miteaway Quick Strip on my hives due to the mite levels. Due to you having significant brood, you are limited in your treatment options unless you want to do multiple treatments over about 3 weeks. MAQS is one of the few that treats mites on the brood.

Dan

Yea, mites and treatment always stir up this place.

I suggest accurate measurement and prefer the sugar roll test.

I like formic acid because it leaves no residuals. I counted 49 from a sugar roll, treated with formic acid and a subsequent sugar roll counted six (6).

Yes, most advise and some require sufficient time between end of treatment and placing supers.

I'll stir the pot,,,,LOL I did an alcohol wash on one of mine and quite counting at forty! Survived the winter and went on to swarm late that spring. To each their own
    Rick

1 out of 6 ain't bad imo. If you're finding them in every single drone then I would start worrying or if you see any DWV.

A kind of rule of thumb, in my part of the world, is if mites are in 25% of drone larvae, then you treat.

But there's no absolutes. For one thing, if it's early spring and not a lot of drone larvae yet, then you would naturally expect the mites to be focussing on just a few larvae.

Other thing, no form of mite counting gives you the associated virus levels, and it can be those that do the damage.

My opinion on your situation Kim, it's unlikely your mite levels are at a "need to treat" threshold yet. But, might, or might not, be getting up there.

If the history of your bees is they are a non mite resistant strain, you could get that level of security, by treating now. If you are willing to take the risk, you could not treat, which would be a crapshoot, could go either way.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Rick 1456 View Post
    I'll stir the pot,,,,LOL I did an alcohol wash on one of mine and quite counting at forty! Survived the winter and went on to swarm late that spring. To each their own
    Rick
    amazing rick. is this typical of your bees?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

To the best of my knowledge,,,,no, it is not typical. It was a swarm, unknown origin, I picked up spring 2011. Looked like it was on the verge of total collapse by fall. DWV was some of the worst I'd seen. I considered putting a trash bag over it and giving the resources to some other needy hives I had that year. Decided to let nature take it's course. One of my best hives to this day and whatever went on for that to happen, is in the local gene pool now. I hope.
    Rick