Default New comb that is already brown

My bees sometimes build new comb that is already pretty dark. Was thinking it was old comb but we are on a flow and they have ample resources. Any ideas?

Default Re: New comb that is already brown

Same thing happened with one of my hives, I noticed that about half of an older comb was missing and what was left was ragged, I deduced that they had used the wax from the old comb that was empty and on the outside to make new brood comb that was the same color as the old comb.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 04-11-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: UNQuote

I belive the difference is what they are feeding on... It appears that if they feed on honey you get more brown comb, and nectar produces whiter clean comb. I have noticed several times that EARLY wax production is more milkbrownish... it may just be more of it is recycled...

I've had new wax that was radioactive yellow.

New combs or old combs, eventually they will all turn to dark color. So if they turn darker color in the beginning
    that is o.k. too. As long as the bees can use them I would not mind that much. I have new white combs being
    build now as well the 3 years old dark color combs for brood rearing and pollen/nectar mixed. Both are fine to use
    with a healthy bee hive.

Yes, they will sometimes use old wax to build new comb where they want it. Especially in the early season before they have new wax makers. That "burr" comb that we so eagerly remove is their wax reserve - used for late winter brood capping and other purposes.

New wax is often not white if the waxmakers stoked up on darker nectar. Locally, redbud is a dark nectar that produces a yellow new wax.

As usual, the commentary from beepro is not relevant.

Walt

I wonder if it has anything to do with how much wax they have to make. This is the first year I have ever really had plenty of drawn comb - so they don't need to make much. The wax that they are making is tan at best whereas I have always had snowy white wax during early spring. Maybe it is mostly recycled, and since they have plenty of room to store nectar their wax glands never really get in high gear.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Just checked today and they have changed to making white wax