Default Relocating wild swarm to Warre Hive

Hi, I'm new to beekeeping and I've hit a spot where I'm having a bit of trouble finding info about my current situation. I set up a small bee yard with 2 Warre type hives. A friend heard I was doing this and just so happened to have found a honey bee hive in a tree he was cutting for firewood. He gave my the very large section of hallow tree filled with the bees, it was cold and they did not protest the move. Their comb was left mostly intact and they appear to be healthy now that it is warm outside.

My question is, how do I move them into my Warre hive? The log is currently a few feet away from the hive I want them in, but i imagine I will have to move them? When should I move them? What about their current comb? A few flowers are up where I live, but it is still a bit early here for full scale spring, and it will be briefly chilly again soon ( lows around 30, highs about 50, if that matters). Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

-mike

Default Re: Relocating wild swarm to Warre Hive

This is better answered on the Swarm Traps, trap outs and cut outs forum, but here it goes.

Doing a cutout would be hard to do going to a Warre. Since you don't have frames it would be difficult to attach the comb into a Warre.

Have you considered doing a trap-out? If you do a trap-out you may be able to pull several starts off of the hive. Just add a queen and you have a hive. If you are interested in this I would recommend that you search for Hogan style trap using the search tool. Cleo has a good method of doing trap-outs. It will be a bit different since he is trapping into Langs and does put brood in the box, but it may work.

does your warres have removable top bars?, If so, you could attach comb from a cut out with Hair clips wired underneath the bar, I have seen this done with topbar hives

It may be tough doing a cutout from a hollow as the comb will likely be pretty irregular. Not saying you cant attach to a bar, but it isn't the same as doing a cutout from a ceiling or a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    ..Warre. Since you don't have frames...
    Frames for Warré hives are available - you can buy them - or are easily self made.

You either cut the bees out on a cold day, so they won't fly much, or use a bee vac to free the combs from bees, transfer the combs to the frames or topbars (but that's tricky).

Use a hot knife to cut the combs into shape. Feed them with a ziplock bag and warmed sugar syrup.

Bernhard