Default Completely rude, and evil bees during a swarm capture

I 'rescued' a swarm today and these girls were [hot]. I got stung 7 times (partly my fault for wearing shorts) but more so they were just bombing my veil and would follow me a good ways from their swarm and for several minutes.

So, my question is, will/could they calm down or should I take more desperate measures? I could smite their queen right away assuming I did get her and then let them build their own from some brood from the other hives I have or should I give them a bit of time?

This is only my 4th capture, but I've never experienced even 1/10th of what I did today.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-07-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: language

Default Re: Completely rude, and evil bees during a swarm capture

I'd keep my eye on them. A hot swarm would have me worried. Never experienced that. If they act that way in the hive I'd requeen them.

codyjp...Done several removals and swarms. I've had some nasty bees in removals, but never a nasty swarm (and yes, we are below the AHB line). Definitely something to watch. I wouldn't pinch the queen right away. Give them a chance to settle...JMO. But I wouldn't let it go longer than a few weeks before deciding. Did you use smoke? Once one stings, the others can follow suit. And no disrespect, but shorts on a bee removal/swarm??? Spoke to my mentor a few weeks ago, and he was [complaining] about stings on his feet. I ask 'how'd that happen??' He meekly replies that he shook a low swarm in his flip flops. To which I replied....Well DOH!!! Just glad it was him, and not me...he would have had my head! If it were me, I would give them a chance to redeem themselves after a bit of settling in time. If still that angry in a couple/few weeks, Off with her head! JMO!! Good luck!
    Last edited by Barry; 04-07-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: language

Only 7 Stings... Not that bad really. My Cut off point was 15 stings for a swarm. Though I never wore shorts on swarm calls.

The shorts was a pretty boneheaded move and I'm paying the price now. My few prior experiences were so easy I just didn't think much about it.

I failed!

Silly questions... How far is a good ways? And how long is a few Minutes?

I don't know if this hive is AHB or not. But in Florida the recommendation is to replace with European queen bees once captured a swarm.
    So if your area has the AHB then this hive might have some of its genetics. This will contaminate your existing hive if indeed it is the case.
    Swarms are unknown origin so it is hard to tell by looking at them. If were me I will replace the queen on further evaluation before she
    give out more drones. I'd been chased 300 yards before caught in vids so not like that route again.

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    I'd been chased 300 yards before caught in vids so not like that route again.

Kinda why I asked the questions I did. I had AHB hives follow me well over 100 yards and still be unhappy with me after spending 30 minutes or more eating lunch in the truck, waiting in vain for them to calm down.

Yea requeen them and don't think twice about it. A few hitting your head is one thing but if they are intentionally trying to sting other places. That's just plain sewage in the gene pool.
    Don't laugh it's paid for. -- Manure draws more flies than honey.

Any idea how long the swarm was there before you took it? I've seen dry swarms act real angry but found out later they settled down once installed. Still, I'd be looking to re-queen (if you have her). I probably wouldn't wait for them to re-queen themselves with new eggs from another hive. Sounds like the sooner you get a calm queen in there the better.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

They could have been hungry
    Also could have been harassed before you showed up

Wear shorts???

watch what you ask for
    You May receive it

I have had some really mean swarms, worst one I took 26 or 27 stings. Often afterswarms that are queenless can be testy.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by sergie View Post
    Silly questions... How far is a good ways? And how long is a few Minutes?
    Probably 75' but they would persist for easily 5 minutes. I'll see what they act like over the next for days and go from there.

If they have been out for a couple of days, could be getting hungry. If somebody else was there first with a can of raid, would also explain the attitude. Or they could just be downright nasty. Time will tell...

I brought them home last night, and this morning stood in front of their door for a few minutes (with gear on!) and they couldn't be bothered by me being there.

Time will tell I guess! I'll try to give them some fresh brood to keep them occupied tomorrow or Tuesday. Maybe they will even make a new queen.

I went into my other two hives today thinking I'd try and give these new girls some comb and some brood to keep themselves happy for a bit. As it turns out, the BOTH must have swarmed, no brood anywhere, and slim pickins in the bee department.

My money is that these girls are actually my bees that were trying to run away.

Now I'm sad and disheveled. They had plenty of room to build more comb... Am I a lousy landlord? Is it something I said?

Nonsense, it is nothing you said at all. You are just one day too late to add the broods and larvae.
    Don't worry though. We're still too early in the seasons. More will come later on. But don't let
    this lesson learned to be ready for the next big one. And don't even doubt yourself a bit. They have
    the intention to swarm anyways if they don't like their new home. This is what swarms do. Who knows
    what bees will do next, right. Even a complete hive will disappeared leaving the keeper wondering what
    had happened. Is that what we call CCD?