Default Hive swarmed but got the bees, questions

I was asking yesterday advice about this hive and this a.m. I went to split it but it was to late. The bees did it themselves. I am a novice at this and still learning everyday something about bees. They didn't go far (very lucky), when I got there this a.m. around 10 they had just swarmed, 2 swarms in a cedar just in front of the hives and bees flying everywhere. I let them calm down for about an hour and they settled in 2 large clusters on limbs just above each other. I have containers that have the sides cut out and screen wire for ventilation for the bee vac so I went and got 2 of them, climbed a ladder, cut the limb and toated each limb down and put in the boxes. I wasn't able to hive them this afternoon due to work so I brought them home and put them in my garage where it is cool. Bees are fine, clustered in a corner in each box, acting fine. So now I have a few more questions.

1. These 2 sets of bees were in seperate balls, not touching. So was this 2 swarms. Remember I said in my last post that I had 3-4 queen cells that had holes in the bottom but wasn't sure if it hatched a queen or not.
    2. If seperate swarms, are they likely to be 1 mated queen (old queen) and 1 virgin.
    3. When I hive these put some brood and rest frames in hive body and start feeding heavy to start laying if one of the queens is a mated one.
    4. Do these swarms need to go to another hive yard?

Thanks,

Clark
    Swarm 4-6-13 (1).jpg
    swarm on 4-6-13.jpg
    Last edited by CChampion; 04-07-2013 at 12:26 AM.

Default Re: Hive swarmed but got the bees, questions

If you have two queens, one is the old one and one is a virgin, unless two hives swarmed, in which case both are the old queen.

Hive them and feed them -- the bees with the virgin queen will draw comb and store nectar and pollen, leaving a small space for the queen to lay in when she gets mate and starts laying, could take a couple weeks. Once she gets going, the bees will move things to make space.

You will be able to tell quickly -- the old queen will start laying as soon as she has adequately drawn comb. You will be able to see eggs in a few days.

Keep any eye on them, it's quite common for the bees to supersede the old queen as soon as she has lain a decent pattern on a couple frames. They don't always supersede, but it's common. if they don't, they will usually then supersede her early the next year.

If they stay in the hive, it doesn't matter where you put them. Some old brood comb or a frame of open brood will keep them there if you are concerned, but likely once they decide a box is "home" they won't leave. Since they swarmed, they will re-orient to their new home as soon as you let them fly, and will not drift back to the old hive as a rule.

Peter

These 2 swarms do not need to goto a separate bee yard. They will do fine when stay next to each others.
    The only reason they swarm because too crowded in the current hive that they have the urge to multiply to split.
    That is why they made the queen cells in the first place. Things too crowded inside about to explode with so many
    hatched queens.
    If 5 different people tell me the same answer (split them) when I asked then I will follow their advice to the next step.
    I think I'm the last person to reply to your last post about this situation. It is too common anyways with beekeeping.
    But a newbee might not recognize this situation. This is a fun experience for you anyhow.
    Lucky you that they did not fly too far away. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the replys, I appreciate all the information. Yes Beepro, I was lucky that the bees decided to land on a cedar 30 feet from the hive and about 10 feet up. I don't think I could have asked for more than that. I try not to ask to many questions on here, I do alot of reading on beekeeping but sometimes verbal communication helps eliminate error sometimes, but I have always gotten my answers here and I appreciate this site. There's good people here.

Clark
    Last edited by CChampion; 04-07-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Glad you know what to do with them. Judging by those sizes they will try to swarm again. Give them a super also when you hive them. Right now should be a good flow going on after the rainy days. We all can learn from each others, right.
    There are way too many good people here than anywhere else on the web I found out. Been with the foreign country
    site that not welcome me that much. That is why I came to this site. They offer queens, bees, knowledge, ideas and information that I cannot find anywhere else on Earth. Most importantly they solved my basic questions and even the advanced and the dumb ones as well. I asked them everything even when I am not that sure if if but but ones.
    I also made some very good long term friends here and from other countries as well. They are all very helpful to my
    beekeeping progress. Would you believe? They offer me up to 12 frames of bees here. But I handsomely declined. Without them here I killed more honey bees than raising them. Shuuuuu!!!!!

Clark: I don't know if the perspective/scale is off, but those swarms are gorgeous (and large!). You still have bees in the original hive? No need to separate them to another yard...they will/should be happy to have a nice home/hive, though no guarantee (ever, with bees!) . Don't worry about un-mated versus mated...the bees will take care of all that. I am sure there are plenty of drones in the air your way by now. They definitely need two separate boxes though! Hive them, feed them a bit, and leave them to be bees. I would not sacrifice brood from other hives at this point. The bees knew they were going to swarm, and have (however they do it) prepared for it. Don't sacrifice brood if you don't have to. Watch and wait. Though you may get another 10 opinions, I would hive them, and wait at least 3 weeks for an inspection. Just my two cents! Gorgeous swarms! Glad you could catch them! Good luck, and keep us posted!

Bees In Miami, I checked the hive this morning and still full of bees but a noticeable difference from the other day. The lower swarm was larger than the top but both very large in my opinion. The bees that swarmed took almost all the stores with them so this hive is killing the sugar water right now. Going to watch and make sure they don't swarm again hopefully. Thanks for replying.

clark