Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Do any suppliers sell follower boards for 6 5/8" boxes?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  snl 
#1 ·
Do any suppliers sell follower boards for 6 5/8" boxes?

Why are Mann Lake eight frame boxes so wide?

#2 ·
I measured another beekeeper's 8 frame boxes (depth) and they varied between 13 5/8" to 13 7/8".

I would think follower boards would be pretty standard since inner dimensions should be 'hopefully' still be standard if you had to make shorter followers from taller followers.

#7 ·
I make a lot of my own equipment. These are for Newbees for whom I have already helped with much more than my normal lack of generosity. I don't want to spend another half a day during this busy season helping them. And if I charge them what my laborers would cost me to make them, they will feel ripped off.

#8 ·
An old frame with a piece of coreplast stapled to it makes a great follower board.

Apparently all 8 frame boxes have almost enough space for 9 frames - I know mine do. When I work with 10 frame equipment my response is "Why do they make these so freakin' tight?"

The extra space in the 8 frame boxes is a feature, not a flaw. It is a lot easier to get the first frame out. The end honey frames do get built out a little fat, and once in a great while they build some burr comb on the inside of the box.

I have one 10 frame setup and I'm only putting 9 frames in it, because I like the extra space.

#9 ·
An old frame with a piece of coreplast stapled to it makes a great follower board.

Apparently all 8 frame boxes have almost enough space for 9 frames - I know mine do. When I work with 10 frame equipment my response is "Why do they make these so freakin' tight?"

The extra space in the 8 frame boxes is a feature, not a flaw. It is a lot easier to get the first frame out. The end honey frames do get built out a little fat, and once in a great while they build some burr comb on the inside of the box.

I have one 10 frame setup and I'm only putting 9 frames in it, because I like the extra space.

#10 ·
Why are Mann Lake eight frame boxes so wide?
They use thicker boards than everyone else, and it makes it a pain in the butt to use with what everyone else deems standard sized equipment. A good way to get ticked off in a hurry is to put a Dadant telescoping cover on a Mann Lake box. I'll be getting rid of the half dozen or so Mann Lake boxes that I have as soon as I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.