Default Just hives my first two packages...question

I did it by the book. I'm using a hive top feeder and while I made my best effort, some bees are probably still in the sugar water and will die. Should I worry about it or just go out tomorrow and remove them then?

Also, I think I squashed some bees putting the feeder on. Again, I tried to brush them off but the are quick.

Default Re: Just hives my first two packages...question

Use smoke to move them next time, but it's gonna happen, i hate hearing the crunch myself.

Bah. Good idea. Ill know better next time.

I use a screened inner cover over my top feeder, but mine also have the built in screen in the feeders, so drowning is reduced (Mann Lake Feeders).
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Mine have a built int screen too but if they get in from the outside, they can crawl up on the screen but I don't think they can get out of the feeder area because the top fits without space.

Unless you have a whole lot of dead bees in the syrup I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you do have a bunch, you need to sort out why so many are drowning. Seems like there's always a few though. When I used top feeders I would run my hand lightly around the rim before I put the feeder back on. Try not to drip anything on the rim when removing the feeder for an inspection since the bees will zoom right in on those sweet spots and of course, they'll be in the way when you want to drop the feeder back over the box.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I have an old, hand crank food grinder that I have used to break up wine corks to use as float material in feeders. It was necessary to reverse the end piece to allow the chunks to pushed out by the auger. Larger chunks make another trip through the grinder.

I got the grinder for free through FreeCycle.

If you have other beekeepers near you, you might consider purchasing cork nuggets from the Maryland Cork Company. Their Large Nuggets would be easier to use; easier to recuperate or rinse if needed.

http://www.marylandcork.com/default.aspx
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Sorry I guess I was unclear. I put a screened inner cover, not part of the feeder, on top of of feeder to stop robbing and bees getting to the syrup from outside.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a