Thread: Frustration

Default Frustration

Hey folks,

I have been beekeeping for 10 months now and am getting a little frustrated. One thing is that we have had a cold spring here in middle GA and the bees are expanding at a snails pace. Or, maybe I'm just impatient.

Here's what happened today. I went into my hives to check them out. The queen from hive 4 was removed due to bad temperament on March 20. A new queen was put in on March 21. About March 27 (don't have my notebook handy) she was released from the cage. She had been in one of those push in cages that goes over the comb. She was accepted and began laying. Today I open hive 4 and find 4-5 queen cells. I look around and I see all stages of brood, even some eggs that look like they were laid this morning. I keep looking but cannot find the queen. Then, purely by accident, I see a virgin queen walking around. Today has been exactly 17 days since the old queen was removed.

My theory: During the queen introduction process I failed to remove all of the queen cells that they made. Today or yesterday, that queen cell hatched and they threw out my nice new queen. I'm going to let them be. I hate that her genetics are going to be the same as the old one that had a bad attitude, but I really don't want to try to requeen them again. It's frustrating because all I really ended up doing was setting them back a few weeks on buildup and I'm trying my best to get them ready for the nectar flow.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Frustration

Don't fight nature, work with it. I have three kids, two are similar none are exactly the same.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

have they always been an aggressive hive? this time of year, low on stores, cooped up with no major flows, they tend to be a bit aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by JStinson View Post
    Hey folks,

I have been beekeeping for 10 months now and am getting a little frustrated.

Thoughts?
    Thoughts? Yes, I think you're right.

I also believe that you can manage Your Bees as you wish. There's no need to maintain aggressive bees, thinking that "it's natural".

As for the frustration, be patient. I would suspect that year two or three will present more challenges. In any case, mistakes will be made...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I like AceBird's response.

have they always been an aggressive hive? this time of year, low on stores, cooped up with no major flows, they tend to be a bit aggressive.
    I think they have been a tad more aggressive this year than last fall. However, the guy I got one of the nucs from routinely keeps bees with not so much as a veil on. Maybe it's the season, I dunno.

I'm starting to think about just leaving the bees the heck alone and letting them be bees...
    Micromanaging doesn't work too well...especially if the manager doesn't know what he's doing.

Bad manager. I don't like that.
    I like BeeCurious' idea about not keeping aggressive bees. Pretty soon you have to rehive all your queens in
    every hive because they have the aggressive genetics. I think the drones will carry that as well, right.
    Two to 3 generations will tell this process. Get them while it is still early in the season. At least in my area
    it is at early spring here. The flow will continue until August or so. I think you still have the chance to take
    care of this hive. Maybe buy more queens to make more split from this hive. That way they cannot throw
    out your queens because they have to accept her being so small size. Of course, if you can tolerate them
    then let them bee. Other folks here will ban them to the boonie already. Only go there once to steal their
    honey later on. One time aggression is better than all the time, right. I would take her out. It takes the
    fun out of beekeeping with aggressive hive.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmullins View Post
    I agree. cold makes them aggressive. I think it is called cranky.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I would suspect that year two or three will present more challenges. In any case, mistakes will be made...
    Dont worry I have made all of them personally.

Quote Originally Posted by JStinson View Post
    Micromanaging doesn't work too well...especially if the manager doesn't know what he's doing.
    Well now you are in a position to learn. If the hive stays aggressive in a month you can try to requeen again.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping