Default Split gone wrong

went ahead and did a split on Tuesday. I was attempting to follow some information and checking the frames for the queen. I couldn't find her so I put frames with fresh eggs and capped brood in another box. I checked it quite often and don't see the development of any queen cells. Today I looked back into the old hive and saw two frames full of about 20+ emergency queen cells capped. I must of moved the queen to the split. I am wondering how this will work. If there are going to be 40 or more Virgin queens emerging, does that mean they will swarm? Or will one queen survive? Won't she be injured?

Thanks

Default Re: Split gone wrong

Sounds like your split went fine - probably great. If the cells were built in the stronger of the two hives - probably sitting in the original location - you probably got the best possible cells.

You could very well take one of those frames with cells and put it (along with another frame or two of brood and food) in another box and end up with 3 hives.

If the main hive is REALLY strong it is possible that it could issue multiple virgin swarms, but I suspect that is more likely to happen when there are cells all spread out in the hive - so make sure all of the frames with cells are right next to each other. Then the first queen to emerge will kill all of her sisters.

Congratulations it looks like triplets.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Looks like you did took the frame with the old queen for the split. But that is o.k.
    Now you have so many queen cells. Just leave one good queen for the current hive now that
    they should have all the sealed brood. And no new larvae or eggs to make any new queens from.
    The new nuc hive should pull these 2 frames out with all the queen cells. The newly hatched virgin
    queen should kill the other qcs as well. Even if they don't you will have less bee loss if they decide
    to swarm with this small new nuc. But given that small amount of bees they will kill each other off better.

Thanks for the replied. Boosting my confidence.

If I wanted to make splits out of some of the cells, how many should be left in the original hive? What if the cells are on plastic foundation. Could I still cut them off some how?

I had this issue that I got so excited to forgot that these qcs are on plastic foundation. How stupid of me, huh. 7 of them on 2 plastic frames. Nobody know how to cut them out here. A bee friend here advise to scoop them up using a putty knife. So the day they hatch according to the queen rearing calendar http://www.thebeeyard.org/queen-rearing-calendar/
    I put mini queen cages on all of them except one. I figured one queen for this original hive should be fine so I let her bee. This is to prevent them from killing each others from the first one that hatched.

cull the little ones, keep 2-3. They'll usually sort it out though. The best thing to do is pull your nuc and then check it 30 minutes later, if the bees are nice and calm, good bet the queen is in there. I did the same thing a few weeks ago, pulled a nuc, didn't find the queen in the main hive.... wasn't a big deal, but I told myself better check the nuc, it had been sitting 30-40 minutes in the new location already, i popped the top and the bees were so calm I instantly knew she was in there....