Thread: Frame spacing?

Default Frame spacing?

I have searched all over the Internet for a answer to this question, but haven't found a answer yet. So, do I push my frames together or do I evenly space them in the box? If I push them together there is a lot of room on the outside two frames. Thanks

Default Re: Frame spacing?

Welcome to Beesource!

Generally, in the brood boxes, you would want to have the frames pushed together, and centered in the boxes. In the supers, once you have drawn comb, you may wish to space the frames out to encourage fatter combs to allow more honey per frame. Along this line some beeks will put only nine frames in a ten frame honey super. But you need to have the frames pushed together when they are foundation only if you expect to get straight combs drawn.

See Michael Bush's FAQs for more on frame spacing:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Glad you finally got an answer. Welcome to the site!

Welcome Reggie!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Thanks much for this information as I don't remember hearing it this way before. I always left a space between the bars as I was thinking that provided enough space for the bees to get over the top of a frame and down the other sidemore easily. Again I do appreaciate your contribution here. Now at 78 I just hope I never forget it. This last bit of information is given to help you young people appreciate what you do have of the more simple things in life and that I am pleased that things aren't worse as they naturally will be if and when I grow older.